FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Festers big resto.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 101112
Author
Committee Member
Committee Member

Committee Member

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote gryan39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Festers big resto.
    Posted: 10 November 2017 at 11:05am
Great vid.   👍
Dave Campbell View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dave Campbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2018 at 6:30pm
Its been a while since the last update and Fester had been tucked away for the winter but back at the start of May he came out for his last ever MOT;

As it should it passed with flying colours.

Since the MOt we have been down to the Stirling and district classic car show at Bridge of Allen;

Sun Bug by Dave Campbell, on Flickr

(Full set of Bridge of Allen show pics here https://flic.kr/s/aHsmhWjVei)

This brought up a small issue. After around one hour on the motorway there was a small missfire developing. Pulled over and nothing was hot but wouldnt re-start (I think it was flooding). Waited 5 minutes and it started fine and pulled back on the motorway and up to 60mph with no problem. Whats weirder is it did exactly the same on the way home. I will get to the bottom of this and have started with fitting an electronic ignition module so we will see how that goes.

I also ran through the front brakes (shoes, cylinders, springs) and there will be a video of this to follow.

Taking the car to the Volksfling show in Biggar this Sunday so if you are in the area drop by.

Dave.
McRod View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote McRod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2018 at 5:28pm
Dave did you manage to track down your engine issue?
1966 Split Screen Canterbury Pitt
1969 1300 Beetle
1970 Early Bay Window Devon
1974 Westfalia Continental
1989 T25 Panel
2012 T5 Twin Slider Kombi.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dave Campbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2018 at 10:26pm
Nope. It started playing up at almost exactly the same run time as before. Absolutely feels like a breakdown of the coil or a fuel starvation/flooding issue but cant work out why it takes an hour on the motorway to develop.

The engine is not overheating as I could touch any part of it when we got home but I did notice the coil was roasting so that may be a possible but still cant fathom why it runs fine 99% of the time.

Was good to get both our bugs together at Biggar;

And remember I have a blanking plate for you.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dave Campbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2018 at 6:43pm
As mentioned earlier in the thread, here finally (its been too sunny to sit at a computer editing) is my video guide to replacing front wheel cylinders and brake shoes as performed on Fester the Beetle.

Dave
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 101112