Forum Home Forum Home > General Chat > Restos and repairs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Festers big resto.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9101112>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Dave Campbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Festers big resto.
    Posted: 14 August 2017 at 10:10pm
Its been a bit quiet on this thread for a few weeks. Incase you didnt know I lost my storage so have been dealing with 20 years worth of parts and accessories but I did make time for Fester on Saturday.

2 weeks ago I wanted to try and sort out a niggle with the brakes. 

I tried to adjust the shoes but the adjusters were seized solid. So I removed all the drums, replaced the adjusters and when the drums were back on I got all the shoes adjusted nicely.

There was a wee bit of spongyness on the pedal so set about re-bleeding the system.

First cylinder went well but when I did the next the pedal was firm after I closed the nipple then after a few presses the pedal dropped to the floor. I has suspicions the master cylinder was an unknown quantity but decided to be better safe than sorry and ordered a new on.

Jump to this Saturday and fuel tank out, new master cylinder fitted and back to bleeding the brakes.

Looks like this was a good decision as once the brakes were bled the pedal travel is reduced, the pedal goes solid and there is not the worry of it failing.

Dave. 
93fxdl View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote 93fxdl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2017 at 2:52pm
Lucky the brakes failed in the garage and not on the road, would have been awful for 5 years work to get bent. Does fester have dual circuit brakes, as would have been an ideal chance to upgrade.
Ttfn Glenn
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is. If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem. Lack of funds is the mother of ingenuity
Dave Campbell View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dave Campbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2017 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by 93fxdl

Lucky the brakes failed in the garage and not on the road, would have been awful for 5 years work to get bent. Does fester have dual circuit brakes, as would have been an ideal chance to upgrade.
Ttfn Glenn

Wouldnt have been getting used until I was happy with the brakes.

I thought about dual circuit, even talked to Ed about my plans and it may still happen but I want it to be neat and original under the bonnet and couldnt find a neat way to fit a dual feed reservoir when I was short on time for getting it out of Eds way.

With the brakes now up to scratch everything should be OK with single circuit, especially the limited miles it will be doing.
93fxdl View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote 93fxdl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2017 at 11:01pm
For my buggy, I am using a reservoir which fits directly to the master cylinder, might be a faff to top up, on a bodied car, but nothing under the bonnet.
Ttfn Glenn

Edited by 93fxdl - 15 August 2017 at 11:01pm
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is. If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem. Lack of funds is the mother of ingenuity
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dave Campbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2017 at 11:15pm
I toyed with the idea of another reservoir under the fuel tank and running a T piece on each line to connect the two but ran out of time to try and make mounts. 
93fxdl View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote 93fxdl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2017 at 9:20am
Mine plugs directly into the master cylinder, no mounts to make.
Ttfn Glenn
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dave Campbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2017 at 11:18am
But it's under the fuel tank. I don't fancy having to take a wheel off to check the brake fluid. 
Single circuit is fine as long as it's not neglected so I will stick with it until I come up with a reservoir solution. 
93fxdl View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote 93fxdl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2017 at 12:14pm
Fit a sensor cap and warning light/buzzer? Single line from original reservoir, connected to modified cap of duel circuit reservoir. Single line then T piece to split into two lines
Ttfn Glenn

Edited by 93fxdl - 16 August 2017 at 12:14pm
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dave Campbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2017 at 6:28pm
Think I will stick with the simplicity of leaving it alone and checking the fluid level regularly.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dave Campbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2017 at 10:23pm
Started the shakedown runs today now that the brakes are working properly.

Headed up the hill to the roads around Eaglesham, Waterfoot and Thornton hall and the wee car performed perfectly. 

I think the front tyre pressures need adjusting as the steering was a little light and I need to check the accellerator pedal and cable as I didnt feel like I could get full throttle but still got up to full speed on the bypass.

Dave.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dave Campbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2017 at 10:10pm
Yesterday we were finishing off some small bits and bobs on Fester before taking him to the Volksfling Mk2 show in Biggar today.

7am this morning we moved cars about on the drive, checked oil levels and let Festers engine warm up a bit.

Given that the only time its been driven was 10 miles on country roads last Sunday I was feeling woefully unprepared for the hour drive down the motorway to Biggar but the wee bug performed great. Think I have a rumbly front wheel bearing so need to add that to the list but otherwise an uneventful cruise down the road.

Got to the show and entered it into the concourse competition in the main field and at around 2pm were rewarded with a winners rosette. We had won something but wouldnt find out what until the prize giving at 3:30.

We were so proud to pick up the award for best paint. The work that Ed (rodntod) and Johnny put into the paint was exceptional and we are so thankful to them for making Fester a show winner.

Then, completely unexpected we were honored with the award for Best in show. What can we say, we were flabbergasted and Joanne is still buzzing. She even got over here nerves to collect the award;

First post below is a video, click the box to view.

jojo wins by Dave Campbell, on Flickr

We never at any point expected to win anything so this feels amazing and a great end (not that its ever really finished) to the seven year restoration.

Huge thanks again to Ed and Johnny and to the Volksfling crew and I hope everybody who has stuck with the build has enjoyed the journey.

If you are out this way next Saturday we will have Fester and the Fastback at the Giffnock classic car show on September 2nd so drop by and say hello and get a look.

Dave.

Edited by Dave Campbell - 27 August 2017 at 10:11pm
gryan39 View Drop Down
Committee Member
Committee Member

Committee Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote gryan39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2017 at 10:08am
Nice one 👍
Zippy View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Zippy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2017 at 2:35pm
I recognise that handsome chap with the mic!
Well done guys, well chuffed for both of you (and Ed and Jonny)

Z
----------
Dubbin' since 1994 :)
gambit_67 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gambit_67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2017 at 2:50pm
Well done dave and jo, some nice recognition all round

Frank

Edited by gambit_67 - 28 August 2017 at 2:51pm
rodntod View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote rodntod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2017 at 7:04pm
Great news Dave and Jo,delighted for you both. I told you cornflake packets and superglue were the way forward Wink Johnny will be a happy boy too!!!!

Ed
"may the fweem be with you" eddie wan kenobi
beetlesi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote beetlesi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2017 at 8:39pm
Well done to you all
Fantastic Beetle and craftsmanship
Superb !!

Edited by beetlesi - 28 August 2017 at 8:40pm
gayle View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Quote gayle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2017 at 8:52am
Fabby result! Perhaps we may see fester at clubnight again? You guys don't have to come, just fester :p

Also, the video ain't working for me
Highly medicated for the safety of the masses
malky39 View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote malky39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2017 at 12:55pm
Well done Dave, Jo, Ed and Jonny. Great results for its first big trip out
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dave Campbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2017 at 10:18am
The weather played the game on Saturday and we had a great wee day out in Giffnock (a phrase thats never been said before).

The rest of the show pics are here;
https://www.flickr.com/gp/route9autos/1Ri40h

Dave.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dave Campbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2017 at 7:34pm
I feel like this video has taken as long to put together as the car but I finally finished it last night.

Here is the full story of Festers restoration in under 16 minutes;

Dave
gayle View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Quote gayle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2017 at 9:45pm
Fabby video! Is that the only time Jo will be allowed to drive it though?
Very jealous, it looks amazing :)

Ps.i forgot, you owe me a wing :p
rodntod View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote rodntod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2017 at 10:59pm
Is this like the emperor's new clothes thing,where we all pretend the video is great,even though there is no video!!!! LOL

Edited by rodntod - 09 November 2017 at 9:42am
gayle View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Quote gayle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2017 at 9:37am
Everyone can see it but you Ed :)
rodntod View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote rodntod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2017 at 9:48am
p.s.
Your horseshoes now have some hubcaps to keep them company Gayle
gayle View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Quote gayle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2017 at 9:17am
Amazing :) I promise I'll get over soon, just been run off my feet x
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9101112>