Forum Home Forum Home > General Chat > Restos and repairs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Festers big resto.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>
Author
Paid member
Paid member

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote DAVID007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Festers big resto.
    Posted: 19 July 2012 at 10:38am
The main thing is Dave ,, your now on the re-build and your making progress ,, the boat paint certainly sounds the real deal ,,I remember a few years ago I used a rubber roofing paint on the underside of my old Bmw ,, then top coated that with the " waxyoil " paste paint and the thinner stuff for " spraying " into the sills/cross members etc ,, and big time boo hoo `s !!!   Cry like you with your rollers etc there was a chemical reaction and the rubber paint just peeled of in sheets ,,apart from the costs of the rubber paint/waxyoil ,,its gutting to know your labour has been in vain ,, but like your picture with the mask on etc ,, your like a true warrior and are ready for round two ,,Angry  ,, it will be well worth it in the long term ,Thumbs Up 
DAVID007
Dave Campbell View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dave Campbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2012 at 9:57pm
Been a pretty long time since I added updates but other things have been keeping me busy. I have however completed a few bits and bobs.

First thing was once the paint had dried on the outside of the channels I put my mind to painting the insides.

This meant sealing any holes in the panel temporarily;

P1170595 by route9autos.co.uk, on Flickr

With all the escape routes for the paint sealed up either by fitting bolts to protect the threads or by using gaffa tape on the non threaded holes it was time to get the paint ready.

The Jotun resin based paints need mixed to the correct ratio. This can be done by volume or by weight and I decided it was easier to work it out by weight as it saved cleaning out measuring pots.

P1170597 by route9autos.co.uk, on Flickr

With the paint mixed up and thinned down I pored the paint into the heater pipe via the outlet in the A post for the windscreen de mister.

P1170599 by route9autos.co.uk, on Flickr

So the insides were painted a few weeks ago and when peeling off the gaffa tape after the paint had time to dry I could make sure the paint had reached all areas.

I have also picked up a roof panel on Sunday so that I can have a few gutter sections to repair areas of Jo's car.

roof rails by route9autos.co.uk, on Flickr

It needed cut into three sections to get it in the back of my car.

Thats not me doing the cutting..... I managed to stab a 3 inch shard of steel through my left knee when lifting the roof out of the workshop so I didnt get any pictures of the parts laid out as I had to head for casualty.

So looks like any updates will be in a week or so after my knee heals but trust me, this is still a current project, I just need to build up courage to make the big cut along the sills.

Dave.
DAVID007 View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote DAVID007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2012 at 2:05pm
Sorry to hear about your mishap/injury Cry ,, sounds a sore one ,,but its certainly looking as though your giving this project extra attention ,Thumbs Up ,,fingers crossed you make a speedy recovery ,,as for the courage for the big cut ,Confused,, just go for it ,,you know it needs doing ,,think it through a few times and try to imagine any problems that could arise ,, once you do start you know your commited and take it bit by bit Clap ,, you have the skills ,, good luck 
DAVID007
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dave Campbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2013 at 5:20pm
So three months have passed and finally I have made some progress on this project.

A combination of Christmas, work and waiting for my knee to heal has kept me away from the garage but today I got back to it.

Job one today was pulling out the back seat, carpet and parcel shelf.

As usual the glue holding the carpet to the sound deadening was no where near as strong as the glue holding the messy stuff to the car.

Project progress 12/01/13 1 by route9autos.co.uk, on Flickr

So a bit of time was needed to scrape off the tar hairy stuff sound deadening and see what the steel underneath is like.

Project progress 12/01/13 2 by route9autos.co.uk, on Flickr

In all the steel was very good. The only crusty stuff is in this corner and I think I would have been more surprised if this hadnt been rusty.
On the bottom right you can see where the wiring loom passes through the heater channel into the quarter where it runs into the engine bay.

Project progress 12/01/13 3 by route9autos.co.uk, on Flickr

This is a problem as I either need to cut and re-connect the loom here or dissconnect the full loom in the engine bay and feed it through the hole.

Think I may cut it but need to sleep on the idea first.

So while thinking about the loom I thought I would remove the last of the floor pan bolts.

These bolts wouldnt come out with a socket as the captive nuts have stopped being captive.

Project progress 12/01/13 4 by route9autos.co.uk, on Flickr

Best method I could think of to remove these bolts was to cut through them with my reciprocating saw.

Project progress 12/01/13 5 by route9autos.co.uk, on Flickr

That was easy peasy so now there are no bolts holding the body down on this side of the car.

Last job today was to mark out a template where the new panel will be let in at the back.

Project progress 12/01/13 6 by route9autos.co.uk, on Flickr

So thats where I left it today and it better not be another 3 months before I get to it again.

Dave.
Beetlejac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Beetlejac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2013 at 7:39pm
Hi Dave,you'll not pull the loom back through into the car,lm sure they put expanding foam in the panel once the loom is fed into the engine bay.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dave Campbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2013 at 9:02pm
Cheers mate, I was thinking it would be pretty sealed in but didnt want to jump in with the wire cutters before I made sure it was the best way.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dave Campbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2013 at 7:50pm
Got back to the garage today and it was bloody cold but took another big step towards that BIG cut.;

Cold day in the garage. by route9autos.co.uk, on Flickr

I dont smoke so what you are seeing coming from my mouth is an example of how cold it was today in the garage.

My first task was to remove these spot welds. I want to keep as much of the boot floor panel as possible to try and keep the join looking like it did when it left the factory.

P1000307 by route9autos.co.uk, on Flickr

So with a 5mm drill I ran along all the spot welds. I wasnt worried about going through to the lower panel as this will be on the scrap pile by the end.

P1000308 by route9autos.co.uk, on Flickr

With the welds driled through I separated the panels with the best chisel in the world....A big screwdriver.

P1000310 by route9autos.co.uk, on Flickr

After sleeping on the problem of what to do with the loom I decided that soldering the wires back together here was easier than trying top feed the loom back through to the engine bay.

P1000316 by route9autos.co.uk, on Flickr

I cleaned out the rot and the previous repair plate in the rear corner. It will help getting the new panel in place and I wanted it to be fresh so that I dont have to worry about it again.

P1000340 by route9autos.co.uk, on Flickr

To get ready for welding this part on I needed to clean off the paint along the edge so that I could get a clean weld.

P1000337 by route9autos.co.uk, on Flickr

Before I left today I was worried about the cold and the moisture causing rust on the 1/4 panels so a quick coat of primer for protection then home for a heat.

P1000341 by route9autos.co.uk, on Flickr

Hopefully get back to it soon and get on with the big cut.

Dave.
biscuit View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Organ Grinder

Post Options Post Options   Quote biscuit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2013 at 10:53am
Ehhh..... where the pictures of the knee?
Never trust a man, who when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dave Campbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2013 at 6:48pm
You asked for it;

gryan39 View Drop Down
Committee Member
Committee Member

Committee Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote gryan39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2013 at 6:57pm
Quick coat anti rust spray on the knee and you be
good to go l
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dave Campbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2013 at 5:38pm
Next update and the first bit of welding complete. Its only a small bit but its a start.

Todays job, replace the rear crossmember. I chose to start here so that I could use the bolt holes on the body to line up this part and once this is in place I can line up the body with the crossmember bolt holes.

cross member on by route9autos.co.uk, on Flickr

This part will be welded to the floor pan and bolted to the body.

Started by cleaning the paint from the areas that will be welded.

I cut a small section from the body to allow me access to the weld seam.

The body part I cut will be replaced anyway. I could have cut the complete section here but I would have lost the bolt holes for reference.

With the section removed I could get to the weld line to clean it up.

Annoyingly when the floorpans were replaced in the past they were seam welded instead of plug welded so there will be a lot of cleaning up needed when I get to that point.

With the old panel cut out I could thoruoghly clean up the chassis where the cross member will be welded to it.

The new crossmember is in place, seam welded and quickly covered with primer.

I will do a bit of cleaning up in this area then seam seal it when its not -2 in the garage.

Im now waiting for heater pipe to run up the A pillars and maybe a warmer day to start on the sill/heater channel replacement......The big job.

Dave.
McRod View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote McRod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2013 at 7:50pm
Brilliant Dave. Keep it up.
1966 Split Screen Canterbury Pitt
1969 1300 Beetle
1970 Early Bay Window Devon
1974 Westfalia Continental
1989 T25 Panel
2012 T5 Twin Slider Kombi.
dubbedup View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote dubbedup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2013 at 7:16pm
any updates mr c?
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dave Campbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2013 at 9:07pm
Sadly not. I have just moved house on Friday and the lead up to the move has been a total ba'ache. I am also holding off cutting the sill until I have the time to make sure I get the new one on again without leaving it so that the shell dosnt sag or twist.

How about you, any progress on the split?
DAVID007 View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote DAVID007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2013 at 9:33am
it would have been a headache packing all the bits of your project and taking them in order to your new house ,, sorry to hear about the injury but it looks as though its well on the mend ,, ,,and all going well ,,the weather should start to " warm " so we`ll all make progress in our relevant projects
DAVID007
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dave Campbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2013 at 9:37pm
I have dropped the ball a bit with this car recently. Last year I blamed the wedding and this year its been a house move but I have a week off now and I intend to get a shift on.

Today I gave the underside of the heater chanels a coat of paint from this;

heater channel paint by route9autos.co.uk, on Flickr

To this;

Needed to paint it now as I wont be able to get to this surface once its in place and bolted to the floor.

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dave Campbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2013 at 9:58pm
Guess what? I finally took the plunge today and cut off the old sill!!!

After all the measuring and worrying this was the first cut;

The big cut....Sill swapped. by route9autos.co.uk, on Flickr

Then within 10 minutes I had a rather large bit of Joannes car on my lap;

Not that it was very heavy due to it being made of Bran flakes;

Getting the new sill to line up was tricky, especially as its such a big part. I had the back in place then went to line up the front and had to start all over a few times.

I trial fitted the door a few times while getting the sill lined up then when I was happy I tacked it in place;

I then put the door back on to check panel gaps which all seem to be pretty good;

Hopefully tomorrow I will get on with finishing some of the welding.

While working today I tried a wee experiment. I set my camera up to take a time lapse sequence of my days work, see what you think;

rodntod View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote rodntod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2013 at 10:11pm
Excellent work mate,and time lapse is cool Thumbs Up
gryan39 View Drop Down
Committee Member
Committee Member

Committee Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote gryan39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2013 at 10:26pm
Cool mate 

Time lapse ace thowas kind of expecting you to be kidnapped or something  Think must be watching to much CSI

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dave Campbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2013 at 9:04pm
Cheers guys, I didnt get much done today, a combination of being sunny outside, having a banging headache from yesterdays work and then running out of gas for the welder. I did take some pics to show how close I managed to get the panel gaps around the door.

Panel gaps by route9autos.co.uk, on Flickr

Panel gaps by route9autos.co.uk, on Flickr

Dave
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dave Campbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2013 at 5:07pm
Just to proove that this is still an ongoing project here are a couple of pics from todays work.

Nothing too exciting as its more cleaning and welding but its still a step closer to finishing.

(got to try out my auto darkening helmet and freshly serviced welder as well, cheers Jack)

more welding by route9autos.co.uk, on Flickr

more welding 1 by route9autos.co.uk, on Flickr

I got confused and had a homosexual electricity moment here. 2 Plugs and no socket.

more welding 2 by route9autos.co.uk, on Flickr

Dave.
Beetlejac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Beetlejac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2013 at 8:47pm
Gloves too dave
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dave Campbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2013 at 9:02pm
I put them on after a blob of splatter melted through my work gloves and stuck to my hand in a pool of melted nylon.
DAVID007 View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote DAVID007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2013 at 9:58am
its just looking good so far ,, as you say its a step closer now as your putting more parts back on rather than stripping them off ,, ,,plus you just love to see new parts ,, panels etc being fitted rather than a patch of fibre glass , cataloy etc ,,
DAVID007
rodntod View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote rodntod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2013 at 1:48pm
It'll be ready for Biggar then mate???? LOL
And don't listen to them ,the goggles and gloves are a good look Clap
Excellent work Dave keep it up.

Ed
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>