Forum Home Forum Home > General Chat > Restos and repairs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Festers big resto.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 12>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Dave Campbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Festers big resto.
    Posted: 21 September 2013 at 7:33pm
No real progress to post but thought I would show whats happened. Sadly the garage where the bug was stored has been sold so this week I had to shift the beetle.

Time to move. by route9autos.co.uk, on Flickr

Back on its wheels;

Dave.
Dave Campbell View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dave Campbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2016 at 8:29pm
Over two years since there was an update to this thread........... Maybe thats about to change in a BIG wayWink
DAVID007 View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote DAVID007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2016 at 9:02am
more , more , please we need to know ,` fingers crossed its lucky 2016 `   
DAVID007
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dave Campbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2016 at 9:10pm
Good to know at least one person is interested so just for you David, here are some up to date pics.

To review where we got to way back in September 2013, the Beetle had to be removed from the garage I was using and so it ended up in the one car garage at my parents with the good intention that I could push it out, work on it and push it back.

Sadly the space available simply wasnt big enough and as is the rule with most garages, the longer it sat the more got piled up around it and by summer 2015 this was what greeted me when I opened the garage door;

I had promised Jojo a finished Beetle but I was really struggling to see how I would achieve this in the space available so that left one option. If I couldnt do it, maybe I should seek out somebody who could. 

If you follow this club forum you will have seen a lot of good work coming from the workshops of Ed (Rodntod) so in July I decided to bite the bullet and sent a PM enquiring whether or not he would be willing to take on the job and to my relief, there was a space coming up nearer the end of the year where he could make a start.

Now, one thing I have not yet mentioned is Joannes reaction to her Beetle finally getting re-started......Thats because she didnt know, this was to be a Christmas surprise which is also the reason this thread hasnt been updated until now.

This also meant I had to sneak about and and get the car out of the garage without her knowing which explains why I spent the wettest Sunday in November dragging the bug and the parts needed out of storage;

The 1967 only decklid and vallance had been living under a tree for 2 years;

And then after dark the car was loaded onto the truck to make its journey to Ed's place;

Once down at Ed's he could give it a good look over and see what he had let himself in for. Thankfully he didnt laugh at the work I had completed on the nearside heater channel. 

This was the o/s sill, not surprisingly it was just as bad as the N/S;

So he braced the body and separated the pan;

And whacked straight into the work completing more in the first couple of weeks than I had in the last 5 years.

O/S heater channel cut out;

The new (body cut) heater channel in place and filler work started;

The start of the bare metaling of the body revealed a few layers under the top coat;

So by Christmas we were at this point, o/s heater channel replaced, o/s top door hinge repaired, o/s rear inner arch bare metaled, glass out, pannels off, front bulkhead repaired and a start made on bare metaling the body work leaving the car looking like this;

Which incidentally is the picture I had printed into a poster and wrapped for Joanne to open on Christmas morning to reveal the surprise.

How did the news go down?

Well, the car got a double thumbs up when we visited Ed's place this week;

I think somebody is going to be very happy when its done;

More updates as we go along and a big thank you to Ed for his work so far and to him and anybody else who saw Fester in his garage and kept the secret.

Dave.
vwmorty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote vwmorty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2016 at 9:25pm
Nice one David, will be good to see it on the road again.
9n3 polo gti.....point, squirt and hold on :-)
beetlesi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote beetlesi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2016 at 9:33pm
Fester is coming back to life!!!

Woohoo - well done Dave and Ed
Jojo View Drop Down
Comittee Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2016 at 10:17pm
Yaaaaay! I'm so happy!
Handmade Jewellery at:

http://www.weegemjo.co.uk

DAVID007 View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote DAVID007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2016 at 1:51pm
This is an epic , it must , just must be made into a film , the princess will soon get to ride in her little chariot .I think your just a big softy at heart    , but seriously that's what you call a workshop , where you have a little movement and headroom ,and of course the work being carried out with love and enthusiasm , rather than just a job , respect to you all for all your efforts and now the covert part of the operation is exposed , were all going to be waiting for more info as it becomes available , happy days , what a start to 2016
DAVID007
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dave Campbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2016 at 8:55pm
Originally posted by DAVID007

.I think your just a big softy at heart

Wow, hold on there. You will be giving people the wrong idea about me.

DAVID007 View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote DAVID007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2016 at 11:18am
We all need to take care of what`s important in life ,    , and if our ladies are happy we get out to play with our toys .     
DAVID007
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dave Campbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2016 at 9:53pm
We can see who the real softie is on this thread LOL

Just had a small update from Edward welder hands, the top hinge mount on the drivers side A post has required a bit of fiddling to get it back to strength. 

An example of the job being done right rather than papering over the cracks.
gryan39 View Drop Down
Committee Member
Committee Member

Committee Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote gryan39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2016 at 10:02pm
Edward welder hands. Lol classic. 😂
DAVID007 View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote DAVID007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2016 at 8:56am
Title of softie accepted , , and as you say " Edward welder hands " is indeed doing the work properly , which long term will be far superior than trying to ` cover it up ` which maybe okay short term , but I reckon this lovely little beetle will be with you guys for a very looooong time , so its clearly best doing it right once , and hats of to Edward , clearly the man has super powers , unlike me , I poop it , every time the welder sparks   
DAVID007
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dave Campbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2016 at 8:47pm
Just had the latest update through from the man who can.

The top door hinge mount is well on the way to being solid again;

Rear vallance is off to be replaced with the correct '67 only vallance I sourced from California;

Just like you get at dominos, a crusty deed pan;

These are being replaced with the best quality pans from Wolfsburg west in California and not surprisingly, the doors have some rust along the bottom edge but all being well they will fix up nicely as they are one year only (push button outside locks like early bugs with lock buttons inside like late bugs) and hard to get.

Dave
gryan39 View Drop Down
Committee Member
Committee Member

Committee Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote gryan39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2016 at 11:50pm
👍
DAVID007 View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote DAVID007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2016 at 1:35pm
Fantastic and fascinating watching the strip down in preparation for the re-build , tremendous skills and knowledge , well done guys ,
DAVID007
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dave Campbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2016 at 10:36pm
Things are coming along nicely;

Dave.
beetlesi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote beetlesi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2016 at 10:41pm
Looking Rot Free

Keep up the good work
DAVID007 View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote DAVID007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2016 at 1:56pm
Fantastic restoration work going on here , none of the covering up future problems with filler etc ,really happy for you guys     
DAVID007
McRod View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote McRod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2016 at 7:28pm
Looking great Dave.

Watching this thread with interest.
1966 Split Screen Canterbury Pitt
1969 1300 Beetle
1970 Early Bay Window Devon
1974 Westfalia Continental
1989 T25 Panel
2012 T5 Twin Slider Kombi.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dave Campbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2016 at 6:56pm
This update is a week late so it may be even further on by now but it was looking great last week when we visited Ed;

As its moving on I thought I better dig out the new engine to get it ready;

This engine came with a car from California and ran so well I had to keep it when the person buying the car said he was planning to use his own.

Single port with dog house cooler so points towards it being a 1600. AS41 case and from the looks of things the heads have been ported and polished so when I take off the tin ware to paint it I think I may pull off a head to measure the bores.

Dave.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dave Campbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2016 at 8:59pm
Time for another update.

Ed has the body back off the chassis to finalise the welding on the floorpans (and show off his fancy new ramp :-) ) and the outside of the body is now fully primed in epoxy;

Meanwhile I have stripped down the engine to paint up the tinware;

Before stripping the engine down I noticed a strange outlet tapped into the intake manifold below the carb that seemed to have no use.

I was going to leave it and blank it off then I saw what was inside the manifold;

Thats going to do nothing for fuel vapor flow and if that metal plate ever dropped off it would make a hell of a mess of valves and pistons so it will have to go.

Dave.
McRod View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote McRod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2016 at 6:55am
Good steady progress mate.

Stay motivated ! ;)
1966 Split Screen Canterbury Pitt
1969 1300 Beetle
1970 Early Bay Window Devon
1974 Westfalia Continental
1989 T25 Panel
2012 T5 Twin Slider Kombi.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dave Campbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2016 at 9:13pm
Cheers Rod.

I was down at Ed's yesterday to deliver this.

That would be 5 litres of black primer, 5 litres of gloss black paint and the hardeners and thinners to match. Small box for £190 worth of gear.

While down at Ed's I got to see the progress on his garage and the progress on the bug and all is looking good.

Body looks great in the flesh;

And the chassis is now receiving a good clean up now the pans are mounted;

The clean up has uncovered some rot and grot around the front of the frame head that needs attending to and then Ed can start vaporizing some of that £190.

At this end the engine is now 90% painted up, assembly will start soon then it needs to go down to Ed's.

I need to get some bits and bobs ordered along with bumpers, over riders and the interior kit.

Speaking of interior parts, the Beetle had this good looking 60's Moto-lita steering wheel fitted that needs the leatherwork re-done;

If anybody has a recommendation for somebody that can recover the wheel please pass me their details.

Cheers. 

gambit_67 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gambit_67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2016 at 10:15pm
Looks top notch Dave having seen and moved it around myself. The wee man makes a mean cup of tea too (every half hour). Beware of the 2 cup visit! Use the facilities before you leave even if you think you dont need it! What you got in mind for the interior?

Frank
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 12>