West of Scotland Volkswagen Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Chat > Tech advice
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Steering Wheel Column

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote vee_dub_air Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steering Wheel Column
    Posted: 18 July 2016 at 2:56pm
Hi,

So after 18 years seems i have roped myself back into messing about with beetles.

I got a project L reg beetle that needs a steering wheel before i can arrange transportation back to my place.

long story short, I have tried a padded wheel and on my last visit up tried a 2 spoke steering wheel but not fitting. Taken some pics last time.

[/URL]

It was only when driving back home that I started thinking that its the column that may be too far back rather than a different wheel that is needed.

Anyone can confirm from the pics that its the column rather that another version of steering wheel?

Thanks
BenGould View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Committee Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote BenGould Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2016 at 3:57pm
Looks to me like the column is a bit far back in the housing, if you can get a wheel on enough to get a nut on the threads you may be able to give it a good hard pull and move it out a bit further.

Ben
vee_dub_air View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote vee_dub_air Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2018 at 3:13pm

Thanks for the reply Ben,

Was only the other week I got the change to take a look at it again.  Turned out it was the column tube itself that had been secured to far up.

Loosened the bolts and a few brute force attempts it finally moved.

Got the steering wheel on and without thinking locked the steeling wheel.  

I got no keys! 

Post Reply Post Reply