West of Scotland Volkswagen Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Chat > Sales, Wants, Swaps and Freebies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Oil tempered hardboard

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oil tempered hardboard
    Posted: 31 August 2016 at 7:02pm
Hello All,
I'm looking to buy some sheets of oil tempered hardboard.
Does anyone know of a stockist in Scotland cos I can't find one anywhere.
Thanks
Ian
93fxdl View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote 93fxdl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2016 at 8:13pm
Travis Perkins list or on 3 and 6mm on their website and have branches in Scotland
http://www.trademate.co.uk/products/DrilldownProducts.asp?mode=1&Level2=4&Level3=AH&Level4=&SubDesc=Hardwood
And I still suck at trying to post a working link
Ttfn Glenn (the IT incompetent)

Edited by Bengould - 03 September 2016 at 3:53pm
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is. If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem. Lack of funds is the mother of ingenuity
gryan39 View Drop Down
Committee Member
Committee Member

Committee Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote gryan39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2016 at 8:35pm
What that get used for ?
hunter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2016 at 5:07pm
Thanks 93fxdl ,
I will give them a ring tomorrow and see what they have.
hunter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2016 at 5:09pm
Hi gryan39,
Its for interior panels ( doors and the like )
Vw used to use
lucky4 View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote lucky4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2016 at 11:17pm
Does it come in colours or different finishes or is it like hardboard and then needs a covering of some sort? Sorry to be so vague but I didn't know I could maybe get my interior panels by going to a Builders Merchant. Let's hope it is that easy!
hunter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2016 at 8:47am
HI
It is hardboard, so will need covering
gayle View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Quote gayle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2016 at 9:21am
What's the difference between oil tempered and normal hardboard?
Highly medicated for the safety of the masses
gambit_67 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gambit_67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2016 at 9:46am
Ive got a branch in greenock so may pop along to find out some more info as i plan to use this for my split interior as well

Frank
rodntod View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote rodntod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2016 at 10:02am
Originally posted by gayle

What's the difference between oil tempered and normal hardboard?

Oil tempered is more bendy and moisture resistant.Wink
"may the fweem be with you" eddie wan kenobi
93fxdl View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote 93fxdl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2016 at 1:01pm
Or you can go all Aston Martin and use MDF as that's what they use with a wood veneer for all the posh wood trim.
Ttfn Glenn
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is. If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem. Lack of funds is the mother of ingenuity
hunter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2016 at 3:02pm
Phoned a couple of Travis Perkins this morning, not very helpfull.
The search continues.
gambit_67 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gambit_67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2016 at 4:28pm
Unhelpful in what way?
hunter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2016 at 1:06pm
H Frank,

One branch had never heard of oil tempered and the other just said no we dont stock it.

When I mentioned that it was on there web site I was told that because a product was listed did not mean they carried it.
Work that one out.

Anyway it seems that this type of board has fallen out of favour these days as I can only find it in one place down south
with an £80 delivery cost which is 10 times the cost of a sheet.

I have though found this stuff on line and may give it a go.   

http://www.protection.co.uk/products/proplex-3mm-corrugated-plastic-sheeting-surface-protection/?gclid=CKCn8OKT884CFcky0wodjH8AxA

Any thoughts.

Ian

Edited by Bengould - 03 September 2016 at 3:51pm
gambit_67 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gambit_67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2016 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by hunter

H Frank,

One branch had never heard of oil tempered and the other just said no we dont stock it.

When I mentioned that it was on there web site I was told that because a product was listed did not mean they carried it.
Work that one out.

Anyway it seems that this type of board has fallen out of favour these days as I can only find it in one place down south
with an £80 delivery cost which is 10 times the cost of a sheet.

I have though found this stuff on line and may give it a go.   

http://www.protection.co.uk/products/proplex-3mm-corrugated-plastic-sheeting-surface-protection/?gclid=CKCn8OKT884CFcky0wodjH8AxA

Any thoughts.

Ian

Hi Ian, I will go over to my local TP during the week to see if they are more receptive in person. Ive seen that stuff I the link and its not really that smooth, full of ridges plus crumples badly when bent/manipulated.

I had some foam backed plastic about 3mm thick in my old early bay, the previous owner got it from a company down his way in England called century plastics. From what I can see, it might be called palfoam used mainly in sign displays. A quick squint on the tinterweb throws up this local company selling the same thing. I would need a butchers at it up close to see its suitability but comes in big sheets and differing thicknesses, not sure of cost though?

http://www.johnadamssignsupplies.co.uk/products/palfoam-pvc.html

Frank

Edited by Bengould - 03 September 2016 at 3:50pm
hunter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2016 at 4:24pm
OK Frank,
Let me know how you get on at TP
I will have a look at the foam stuff
Ian
gambit_67 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gambit_67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2016 at 10:03am
No joy at TP im afraid, dont stock it so back to drawing board. Unless get few folk needing it could possibly cut down on shipping costs? Im still unsure if going with this option as ive only just started cutting out the rot, something to bear in mind though

Frank
hunter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2016 at 5:56pm
Thanks for looking Frank.
I was out and about in Glasgow at the weekend and had a look at 3mm foamboard.
8x4 £12. 10x5 £20 + the dreaded VAT
Looks like a very good alternative, I'll let you know how I get on.
gambit_67 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gambit_67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2016 at 2:18am
Hi Ian have you seen this stuff? Not cheap but pre-cut and great if you are looking for grey

http://www.madmatz.co.uk/abs-trim-panels.html

Frank
hunter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2016 at 8:10am
Hi Frank,
They look pretty good.
I have though gone down your suggested route and have bought some 3mm foamboard.
It's very easy to work with and should be rot proof and maybe add a bit of insulation.
The sheets I have are 10x5 so I have been able to make the long panel opposite the door in one piece.
I got enough to do the whole van including the roof for £100 with plenty left over for mistakes.
Wil post some picks when I have it all cut.
Ian
 Post Reply Post Reply