FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

t4, Fungus the bogeyvan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote gayle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: t4, Fungus the bogeyvan
    Posted: 30 November 2016 at 7:59pm
Go you and your online shopping!!!!
Highly medicated for the safety of the masses
93fxdl View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote 93fxdl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2016 at 8:35pm
Trouble is, IT is a bit of a dark art to me, so I have the double excitement of waiting for the delivery, and worrying about what is going to turn up.
Ttfn Glenn
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is. If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem. Lack of funds is the mother of ingenuity
BenGould View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Committee Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote BenGould Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2016 at 9:11pm
Knowing your IT skills, probably cheese. ;-)

Ben.
93fxdl View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote 93fxdl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2016 at 12:27am
Knowing my luck it wont be cheese, I like cheese, just have to sit back and endure the tension. Better start getting on with actually working on the van, on holiday till the beginning of January, but can't resist going for jollies in it, as opposed to actually working on it.
Ttfn Glenn
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is. If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem. Lack of funds is the mother of ingenuity
93fxdl View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote 93fxdl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2016 at 3:14pm
Still getting little done on the van, still can't resist going for jollies as opposed to working on it.
But my led headlamps turned up

So something did get done and I now have really bright headlamps, quite amazing how yellow the original lamps look in comparison, tonight will be the first real test to see how good the beam pattern and illumination are.
I also picked up some of these

To provide power points around the van, just need to get moving with the work.
Also have a delivery of led interior bulbs on their way, to upgrade the standard interior lights
Ttfn Glenn
BenGould View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Committee Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote BenGould Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2016 at 6:04pm
Would be quite interested to know how good the LED headlights actually are, been tempted to do mine for a while but it has been getting shoved further and further down the to do list.

Ben
93fxdl View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote 93fxdl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2016 at 10:08am
Went for a spin last night, to get ice cream, (and try the lights)
The are very bright and white, will have to have a look at the alignment just for my peace of mind, knowing they are so bright makes me paranoid about dazzling others,
They light up the road much better than the original candles, but about equal to the modern lights and good bulbs in my Peugeot,
Because they are so bright they seem to emphasize shadows and reflective road signs can dazzle you. In my opinion, if you have good bulbs and wiring you wouldn't really gain much if anything, but poor bulbs and wiring can be upgraded easily with LED bulbs also if you are running a low output dynamo, the reduction in demand on your electrical system should be taken into account.
Hopefully I will get to the Jan meet and possibly the hogmanay camp out, and if so, I will be happy to do some "flashing" for anyone who wants their retinas burnt
Ttfn Glenn
Ps, is Gayle now going for an eye test? Led not Red
Pps, you can also get them in 6 volt
http://www.dynamoregulatorconversions.com/led-headlamp-bulbs-shop.php

Edited by Bengould - 18 December 2016 at 3:50pm
gayle View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Quote gayle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2016 at 11:16pm
Yeah, seems I can't read....
93fxdl View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote 93fxdl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2017 at 11:00am
Postman delivered a package from Malaysia today, so now I have led interior lights, will have to wait till tonight to see how bright they are. May have problems with them turning in the holder, if so I will have to wedge a packer behind to stop the turning.
Ttfn Glenn
Seem plenty bright enough, just a touch blue

Edited by 93fxdl - 07 January 2017 at 6:03pm
93fxdl View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote 93fxdl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2017 at 1:35pm
With the ongoing theme of LED lighting, I fitted a strip of them along the bottom edge of the tailgate to provide light when using it as a shelter

Currently piggybacked onto the number plate lights to try the concept, will have to wait till later to try them in darkness.
Ttfn Glenn

Edited by 93fxdl - 18 January 2017 at 1:37pm
93fxdl View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote 93fxdl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2017 at 2:38pm
Yet another online purchase was fitted this morning.

Now I can have ventilation without the rain dripping in.
Went to visit a friend, who was having a clear out, so now have 2 of these.

Thinking that joined together might make a nice pod basis?
Also got given a medium sized office cupboard, which will probably become a tool cupboard.

Rubbish photo as its trapped in the van at the moment by all the veg oil.
And to show my non scrounging side, I had some eggs close to use by date, so I did some pickling

Ttfn Glenn
gayle View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Quote gayle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2017 at 10:27pm
I like the filing cabinets, they look cool. How heavy are they though?
93fxdl View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote 93fxdl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2017 at 11:13pm
Surprisingly light, I thought they were real cheapy ones when I felt the weight, but they are proper branded Bisley ones, the heavy item is the cupboard
Ttfn Glenn
93fxdl View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote 93fxdl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2017 at 11:15am
Back on the making something of a freebie train. A while back I was given an extension lead that had fubarred sockets, original plan was just fit some metalclad sockets and use as is, never got it done as I already had several leads anyway, until I had the idea of turning it into a camping lead, a quick trip to toolstation saw me gain possession of a blue 16amp plug and a single gang metal socket and box. A lesson in diy wiring for my youngest saw the job completed

Ttfn Glenn
Ps need to improve my photography skills
Attempt no 2

Hopefully that's a bit clearer.
And here's another picture of the cupboard, shows the size but doesn't show the weight, its flipping heavy

Edited by 93fxdl - 24 January 2017 at 3:12pm
gayle View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Quote gayle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2017 at 6:26pm
That's a fabby cupboard, I'm quite jealous. If you ever come across another one, please bagsy me it :)
93fxdl View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote 93fxdl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2017 at 6:36pm
Originally posted by gayle

That's a fabby cupboard, I'm quite jealous. If you ever come across another one, please bagsy me it :)

Ok will keep that in mind if I come across another
Ttfn Glenn
93fxdl View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote 93fxdl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2017 at 12:33pm
Just for giggles, had my daughter print me off a "scene" tax disc for the windscreen.

Ttfn Glenn
gayle View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Quote gayle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2017 at 3:36pm
You need wheels like that now :)
93fxdl View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote 93fxdl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2017 at 3:01pm
Well, the electrical gremlins have crawled out from wherever they were hiding and visited the fuel gauge.

Not going hunting at the moment, just use the trip meter to keep an eye on mileage.
Been playing with the filing cabinets, needed to replace the locks, so a trip to screwfix secured me a pair of keyed alike camlocks.

These are now fitted but cannot put drawers back in carcasses as the glue to hold them together takes over a hour and a half to set. This is on a par with the latest hypercar technology, just need to add some carbon composite to be right up there with the likes of McLaren and Lotus.

When I removed the drawers I found this inside

So now I am open to suggestions.
A very small amount of work happened to Fungus, apart from taking a jolly to toolstation, I found the screen was covered in micro scratches, so was given a dose of cleaning, followed by clay bar finished with a polish, still not perfect, but a heck of a lot better
Ttfn Glenn
Ps just noticed my loose screw in the first picture, so now I have photographic proof
gayle View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Quote gayle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2017 at 3:40pm
That's a bonus!! Look at all the fuel you have :)
93fxdl View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote 93fxdl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2017 at 7:29pm
Originally posted by gayle

That's a bonus!! Look at all the fuel you have :)

Forgot that I had 80 litres of veg in the back!!
Cabinet now reassembled, ready for conversion

Ttfn Glenn
93fxdl View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote 93fxdl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2017 at 10:57am
Some time ago, a friend told me that a good camping option for cooking when you are on a site hookup, is a George foreman grille. Last night on way home from work, called into lidl for a few odds and ends,
And spied this as one of their specials

So now have the option of healthy grilling, electric oven or gas hobs for Fungus.
Ttfn Glenn
93fxdl View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote 93fxdl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2017 at 2:47pm
At work there are 5'x5'x 1" thick polystyrene sheets thrown away all the time, so I liberated a couple of sheets to use as insulation for Fungus. Started with the n/s slider as the door card was already missing, just the cloth taped to the door

Before.

And after,
Will need to get some hardboard to make a new liner.

Think I should have enough in stock, have found a sharpened palette knife ideal for cutting it to shape.
The online shopping continues with more LEDs a gearstick extension and finally a sew on leather steering wheel cover, all winging their way to me from distant parts of the globe.
The original wheel has seen better days, so hopefully a sew on cover will give it the needed freshen up.
Ttfn Glenn
93fxdl View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote 93fxdl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2017 at 2:50pm
The sew on cover has arrived, and been sewn on

The red threads make it look a bit chav but hopefully will tone down with some use, little bit loose in places, will wait to see if it shrinks at all, if not will soak some water on to shrink it.
On a positive note Fungus is returning 30 to the gallon but with the veg oil savings that is giving me the equivalent to 45 mpg.
A trip to B and Q sourced some hardboard, some hacking with a Stanley saw a new door card created

which was then covered with the original cloth, just need to get enough mojo together, to get on with insulating the rest
Ttfn Glenn

Edited by 93fxdl - 15 February 2017 at 2:50pm
93fxdl View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote 93fxdl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2017 at 4:47pm
Having just purchased a set of alloys from "Scottish motorsport" had to have a quick try to see what Fungus would look like with shiny new boots

Only propped in place, will have to get some more bolts before I can fit them properly
Ttfn Glenn
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>