Forum Home Forum Home > General Chat > Restos and repairs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

t4, Fungus the bogeyvan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Paid member
Paid member

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote rodntod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: t4, Fungus the bogeyvan
    Posted: 09 March 2017 at 5:43pm
Excellent choice Glenn,gives fungus a whole new(better)look.Thumbs Up

Ed
"may the fweem be with you" eddie wan kenobi
gambit_67 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gambit_67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2017 at 6:22pm
You need to extend your arches a bit to pass an mot

Frank
93fxdl View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote 93fxdl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2017 at 7:10pm
The wheel choice was dictated by what popped up on the forum.
Will be fine once the wheels are fitted and not just leant against the originals,
Ttfn Glenn
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is. If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem. Lack of funds is the mother of ingenuity
93fxdl View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote 93fxdl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2017 at 10:32am
Have two wheels, sort of fitted,

Will need to get some more wheel bolts, as the front is currently held on by 2! Fungus is a bit high at the moment as the suspension hasn't settled yet, or is Fungus posing? Tyres only just clear the sliding doors,

I will need to get one of those double ended 17/19 mm wheel braces as the alloys use 17mm bolts and the original spare uses 19mm bolts.
Off to the parts shop for the bolts, support local businesses etc
Ttfn Glenn

Edited by 93fxdl - 15 March 2017 at 7:12am
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is. If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem. Lack of funds is the mother of ingenuity
93fxdl View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote 93fxdl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2017 at 1:43pm
With the shiny wheels and tyres on, the black trim was looking decidedly grey, have tried those spray on snake oil potions which last for a week or two, boot polish didn't seem to work on vw plastics, and didn't fancy the peanut butter polish, so it looked like I was going to have to join the rubbing down and spraying posse!
A bit of interweb searching raised another option, which appealed to me as I didn't need to buy anything and it involved a power tool

Half done on the back!
The door handle is a different material so will have to be painted.
Got the back one finished, then rain stopped play!
Only time will tell how long the refurbishment lasts?
If you have any grey plastics in need of a spruce up, try a hot air gun.
All thats left now is to wait for weather to clear so I can attack the front bumper
Ttfn Glenn
gayle View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Quote gayle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2017 at 4:00pm
The hot air gun method works well but doesn't last long. The best thing is cherry blossom liquid shoe polish that poundland sells. Then go over it with autoglym bumper shine. It looks like green jelly but works well.
Years of scirocco bumpers have taught me this!

Fungus is looking good :)
Highly medicated for the safety of the masses
93fxdl View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote 93fxdl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2017 at 8:23pm
Tried shoe polish, it just didn't take, I have been advised to use boiled linseed oil to keep the plastic "fed", currently have some in my amazon basket ready for my next order,
Ttfn Glenn
gayle View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Quote gayle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2017 at 9:15pm
Tinned shoe polish or the squeeze liquid stuff with the sponge?

It's odd it didn't take, works great on the scirocco
93fxdl View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote 93fxdl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2017 at 9:55pm
It was the stuff in a tin, worked fine on the ldv I had a few years ago, and my boots, just wouldn't take on Fungus, possibly the chap I got Fungus from, had drowned the bumpers in silicon spray.
Ttfn glenn
93fxdl View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote 93fxdl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2017 at 5:31pm
Decided to give Fungus' ears a spruce up. Well somebody up there hates me, scrubbed the mirrors with scotchbrite and washing up liquid, then wiped down with thinners. A quick blow over with some black and the jobs done. Wrong in places the paint didn't take, more of that silicon snake oil I presume, so I left them outside and headed in for a cup of tea, sat with cuppa, funny noise outside, it's raining!!

So here we have two mirrors with rubbish paintwork, tried a second coat, and it rained again!!
Ttfn a rather p1553d off Glenn
93fxdl View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote 93fxdl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2017 at 3:52pm
Tried painting the mirrors again.
Even got my IT advisor involved

Rubbing down ready to blow over.
Sprayed them over,
and they reacted even more!!!!!!!!!
Will have to rub them right back and try again, really tempted to just buy some new pattern ones.
When I got Fungus, I knew the arches all had dodgy filler in them, so with all the "bare metaling" going on elsewhere on the forum, I thought I would have a bash with the angry grinder!
I really HATE bodge repairs,

The arches were all pretty solid, just surface rust and some dents in the rear ones, so all now back to solid metal and coated with some green lidl paint.

Nowhere near the right shade but protection for the metal.
I just don't understand someone doing such a rubbish job on Fungus' arches.
Filling OVER rust?????
I will have to fill some car park type scrapes, possibly a few very minor repairs, but overall a very good result, as I was bracing myself for having to weld in new metal all around.
Trying to decide on whether to stay all frisian green or give Fungus a two tone makeover?
Still, that's a worry for another day.
Ttfn Glenn

Edited by Bengould - 18 March 2017 at 4:23pm
93fxdl View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote 93fxdl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2017 at 3:54pm
Will try again with pictures

my IT assistant

An arch after the angry grinder got up close and personal.

One of the dented arches.

You would never know it had been painted, if I hadn't told you. LOL
Ttfn Glenn
Totally incompetent at IT!!

Edited by 93fxdl - 18 March 2017 at 3:59pm
93fxdl View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote 93fxdl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2017 at 4:32pm
It might be me, but there seems to be a lot of very shiny dubs on the forum at the moment!
So here's a random shot of Fungus, just to even things up a bit

Well, not so random, just me trying my new lidl oil pump to fill Fungus with veg!
Ps they are also doing a 2 tonne trolley Jack, one of which is now residing inside Fungus, as he didn't have a jack on board.
Ttfn Glenn
Pps, the shiny dubs are just encouragement to extract the digit and get on with it

Edited by 93fxdl - 23 March 2017 at 4:35pm
gayle View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Quote gayle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2017 at 5:52pm
Oohh you got oil on the driveway, you'll have to tell yourself off!

Shiny cars are overrated, fungus is more practical :)
93fxdl View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote 93fxdl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2017 at 7:17pm
Originally posted by gayle

Oohh you got oil on the driveway, you'll have to tell yourself off!

Shiny cars are overrated, fungus is more practical :)

Oil spillage dealt with using washing up liquid and hot water!
I do like shiny but also like being able to park in a supermarket without being limited to only the furthest away bays, to avoid door dings and wayward trolleys.
Ttfn Glenn
gayle View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Quote gayle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2017 at 7:32pm
Originally posted by 93fxdl

It was the stuff in a tin, worked fine on the ldv I had a few years ago, and my boots, just wouldn't take on Fungus, possibly the chap I got Fungus from, had drowned the bumpers in silicon spray.
Ttfn glenn

Tinned stuff doesn't work, you need the bottle of liquid stuff with the squeeze sponge on the end :)
93fxdl View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote 93fxdl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2017 at 8:04pm
Originally posted by gayle

Originally posted by 93fxdl

Ttfn glenn

Tinned stuff doesn't work, you need the bottle of liquid stuff with the squeeze sponge on the end :)

In the past the tinned stuff worked fine for me, think the problem with Fungus was, the bumper was well gone and had been drowned in silicon spray, may try the paint on stuff in the future, currently waiting to top up my amazon basket so my linseed oil will arrive to keep the bumper black
Ttfn Glenn
93fxdl View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote 93fxdl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2017 at 3:48pm
Fungus has blotted his copybook by breaking down! Out for a jolly when I lost the gearchange, only had 3rd and 4th, turned back and miraculously, normal service was resumed, then, again I was left with only 3 and 4 with the gearstick flopping from side to side. Made it home and roped my IT guru into assisting with the fault finding, had him wriggle the stick while I checked the linkage. Found a bush had failed on top of the gearbox, had failed some time ago and been bodged with a cable tie, I will also be relying on a cable tie until I can source a bush, but first I have to find a cable tie.
Ttfn a rather grumpy Glenn
Not quite so grumpy now, parts on their way, but may be up to a week delivery time

Edited by 93fxdl - 25 March 2017 at 4:15pm
McRod View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote McRod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2017 at 4:28pm
The insides of those arches need some primer loving too Glenn. Don`t be scrimping on that paint. ;)
1966 Split Screen Canterbury Pitt
1969 1300 Beetle
1970 Early Bay Window Devon
1974 Westfalia Continental
1989 T25 Panel
2012 T5 Twin Slider Kombi.
93fxdl View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote 93fxdl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2017 at 5:28pm
Originally posted by McRod

The insides of those arches need some primer loving too Glenn. Don`t be scrimping on that paint. ;)<div id="UMS_TOOLTIP" style=": ; cursor: pointer; : 2147483647; : transparent; top: -100000px; left: -100000px;">

Inside of arches still well covered with original factory underseal, look more and more like I will be joining the shiny new paint club, only the lower half mind, the annoying part being, the original paint is good, its all the rubbish overspray from carp previous repairs.
Ttfn Glenn
93fxdl View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote 93fxdl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2017 at 7:14pm
Went to the shed for some cable ties, and finally kept a promise to my IT guy, take one tatty office chair, an ex golf seat, lessons in hacksaw operations, vicious attack of the sparky machine, and we have

One custom gaming chair
Struggled to fit it, son and dog in the car for the return journey
can you spot the grumpy dog?

Ttfn Glenn
93fxdl View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote 93fxdl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2017 at 1:15pm
The repair kit arrived, so this this morning I started work on the gear linkage, which is hidden down on the top of the gearbox, behind some heater pipes.

After much struggling and some leakage of claret, the mounting bracket was off, hot water and soap had the first part fitted, more struggles and bleeding saw the bracket refitted, attempting to fit the next part of the bush resulted in yet more bleeding, and the bush flying off to some unknown part of Fungus' nether regions, at this point I decided to give up trying to do the job properly, and fired it back together with a cable tie. So after a morning of stress, pain and blood letting, I have, a broken bush fixed, another one broken, a new part lost, assorted cuts and a gearchange still held in place by a cable tie.
ttfn Glenn
93fxdl View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote 93fxdl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2017 at 4:42pm
Today was time for Fungus to redeem himself, first he collected a mattress for daughter, then a tip run to get some rubbish disposed of, finally I cleared some junk for a friend.
First was a filing cabinet. Which will probably be used at the shed.second was an old 3/4 size desk.

Which has already been earmarked as a housewarming present for a friend who moves on Friday.
Finally, a couple of these

just right for sons guitar practice????
Ttfn Glenn
93fxdl View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote 93fxdl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2017 at 4:53pm
Had another session of wire wheeling the filler out.

A scar from the mean streets of Glasgow.

Looks like fungus has some fiat dna, as they used to specialize in holes in the middle of panels!

All coated in some of lidl's finest metal paint, to stop the bare metal rusting before I get around to fixing it properly
My shipment of boiled linseed oil arrived today.

Woohoo really black shiny bumpers, just have to wait and see how well it lasts
Ttfn Glenn
93fxdl View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote 93fxdl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2017 at 9:25pm
Went for a jolly to Irvine beach with youngest son and the dog, for a cooking session of cheeseburgers and sausage sandwiches, followed by ice cream

One step closer to being a camper
Ttfn Glenn
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>