Forum Home Forum Home > General Chat > Restos and repairs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

t4, Fungus the bogeyvan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Paid member
Paid member

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote 93fxdl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: t4, Fungus the bogeyvan
    Posted: 04 October 2016 at 8:29pm

Here's Fungus the bogeyvan, got the name due to the colour and the moss and mold growing on it.
It's fitted with this

Which controls the hydraulics, and makes things go up and down.

Will have a few extra seats to remove

So there's my new toy, a lwb t4, twin slider 2.4 with a wheelchair lift, the moss and mold has now been washed and polished away.
Ps, one owner 102 k

Ttfn Glenn

Edited by 93fxdl - 02 November 2016 at 1:56pm
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is. If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem. Lack of funds is the mother of ingenuity
beetlesi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote beetlesi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2016 at 9:16pm
Lovely Glenn.

Is it becoming a camper?
gambit_67 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gambit_67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2016 at 9:36pm
Was this on dumbtree?? I might have been looking at this, ripe for conversion and sounds ripe in other ways too. Good luck

Frank

93fxdl View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote 93fxdl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2016 at 9:37pm
More of a day van, some of the lower panels are in need of attention, there's some poor filler and paintwork but since it spent its life in Glasgow working for the mungo foundation, dents and scars are to be expected
Ttfn Glenn
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is. If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem. Lack of funds is the mother of ingenuity
93fxdl View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote 93fxdl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2016 at 9:45pm
Originally posted by gambit_67

Was this on dumbtree?? I might have been looking at this, ripe for conversion and sounds ripe in other ways too. Good luck

Frank

It was on Gumtree, not too ripe, mainly poor battle scar repairs, fully lined inside but sliding door card need attention
All the panels fit well, seems solid underneath, checked its mot history to see if there were any gremlins hiding
Ttfn Glenn
93fxdl View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote 93fxdl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2016 at 12:57pm
Got it wrong, its 2 previous owners, archdiocese of Glasgow was the first
Ttfn Glenn
TheDocmeister View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote TheDocmeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2016 at 6:19pm
Do any of those 'extra seats to remove' fold up? I would be interested in one if so!
93fxdl View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote 93fxdl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2016 at 8:02pm
Originally posted by TheDocmeister

Do any of those 'extra seats to remove' fold up? I would be interested in one if so!

Sorry no they are all fixed back with 3 point belts
Ttfn Glenn
93fxdl View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote 93fxdl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2016 at 8:20pm
Got a few more odd jobs done yesterday, fitted my spare large battery in place of the tiny one it came with, starting is much improved! Removed two more seats, the last pair will need the bolts drilling, as they are above the back axle and a pig to reach, besides I haven't attacked Fungus with a power tool yet, and am suffering withdrawal symptoms.
Other priority jobs are, tint the windows, fix screenwash, fix rear wiper and washer, interior lights more cleaning and polishing, fix the aerial as the cheap to clear JVC struggles for reception
Ttfn glenn
Ps no pictures as photobucket not playing nicely

Edited by 93fxdl - 07 October 2016 at 8:21pm
gayle View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Quote gayle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2016 at 10:10am
Is it going to be a camper glen?
Highly medicated for the safety of the masses
93fxdl View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote 93fxdl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2016 at 1:29pm
Camper/day van, hope to head to loch Ken for a couple of days on Monday
Ttfn Glenn
93fxdl View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote 93fxdl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2016 at 7:10pm
Fitted tints (badly)

Got up close and personal with the angry grinder, so all seats are removed

Fitted a more appropriately sized battery
Also gave the carpet a wet vac session. Failed at trying to sort the washers and rear wiper, time for a question in the tech section.
Ttfn Glenn
93fxdl View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote 93fxdl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2016 at 2:36pm
A visit to the breakers saw me purchase a pair of black, half leather fully electric seats, so the plan for this afternoon is, spanner twirling and probably a bit of sparky machine, to give me stage 2 of the interior upgrades. Sourced a 72 relay, now the rear wiper works, but still no washers, tested pump, ok, so looking like it may be a switch fault, that can wait for a day when I have my electrics head on, as will wiring the seats in
Ttfn Glenn
93fxdl View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote 93fxdl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2016 at 4:57pm
A quick attack of hex key followed by sparky machine, gave me this

The vw belts plugged straight into the ford seats, saving a whole heap of messing about.
Currently the electrics work by jump lead, and they are a bit high, so the plan for tomorrow is, section the mounting boxes by about 2 inches. The other job for tomorrow is to change oil and filter,
Ttfn Glenn

Edited by 93fxdl - 11 October 2016 at 5:00pm
gayle View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Quote gayle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2016 at 5:57pm
Looking fabby :)
93fxdl View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote 93fxdl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2016 at 6:53pm
Originally posted by gayle

Looking fabby :)

Getting there, still a long way to go. Just need to track a couple of electrical gremlins, then can really get cracking on the interior
Ttfn Glenn
93fxdl View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote 93fxdl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2016 at 6:00pm
Gremlins still lurking in the electrical systems, but the log book turned up today, so I was able to sort out the road tax. Now have 60 litres of cooking oil in stock, for next time I need to fuel up
Ttfn Glenn
Decided against driving to work tomorrow, as one of the gremlins has made a home in the glow plugs, so a cold start is lots of cranking, misfiring, clattering and clouds of smoke, all that at 5am might make me unpopular

Edited by 93fxdl - 20 October 2016 at 6:05pm
93fxdl View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote 93fxdl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2016 at 1:31pm
Really shouldn't go to scrap yards, keep getting things I don't really need, and not getting the things I was looking for.
Today's treasures
These two

and two of these.

And two of these.

The front ones have a single armrest, and the passenger seat has a lock box underneath.

And yes I do have a key for it. Looks like a few holes to drill and the fronts will drop straight onto the t4 floor bolts.
And the seatbelt buckles accept the vw belts.
They came from a pre 07 KIA Sedona. Not our black one, as the later ones don't have armrests on the second row
Ttfn Glenn
Looks like a couple of ready to bolt in half leather electric seats will be up for sale in a week or two
93fxdl View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote 93fxdl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2016 at 3:24pm
A mad session of spanner twirling, hole drilling and nut tightening saw the Sedona seats in place.

And to get an idea of how things will come together in the middle, the center seats were sat in place.

Just have to create mountings for the seats and belts
Ttfn Glenn
gayle View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Quote gayle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2016 at 4:53pm
If I had those seats, they'd stay that colour for 10 minutes tops!
93fxdl View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote 93fxdl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2016 at 8:19pm
Originally posted by gayle

If I had those seats, they'd stay that colour for 10 minutes tops!

I rather like the pale grey, and the plastic trim colour matches the original vw plastics,
Ttfn Glenn
93fxdl View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote 93fxdl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2016 at 9:47am
Seem to have finally evicted the electrical gremlins, but I cannot claim the victory, the wiper fault was found thanks to Ben, I was steered to the glow plug fuse by the t4 forum, and a "free" battery check at halfords showed the battery wasent holding enough charge, so the free check cost me 62 quid for a new battery, but now it starts first time with no jump leads required.
Tomorrow it goes in for cam belt and oil change.
Now I have confidence in it starting, I treated it to some fuel

Ttfn Glenn
93fxdl View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote 93fxdl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2016 at 9:00am
Fungus now back from emptying my wallet, cam, pump and fan belts, water pump, oil and filter and fresh antifreeze.
Now I can happily jump in, fire up and drive off on my cheap fuel, happy in the knowledge that nothing untoward should happen to the engine.
Ttfn Glenn
Now decided to go for a trundle to kilmarnock to enjoy the drive and pick up a copy of volksworld
gayle View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Quote gayle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2016 at 9:40am
Yay!!!
93fxdl View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote 93fxdl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2016 at 1:58pm
Managing to resist visiting scrap yards, but struggling to not drive the van, keep thinking of excuses to go for a jolly, last weekend took a spin to the beach, but had trouble finding somewhere to park, as most car parks had height restrictions on them.
Struggling with poor headlights, which it seems are a t4 thing, could have gone for an upgraded loom and bulbs, but went all high tech and have ordered some superbright led lights from amazon, my first online shopping experience, just have to wait and see what turns up.
Ttfn Glenn
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>