West of Scotland Volkswagen Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Chat > Recommended Tradesmen / Businesses
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Welder wanted

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote karmavanvliet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Welder wanted
    Posted: 07 June 2017 at 11:18pm
Just joined so apologies if this is a numbnuts question/wrong area etc.
Looking to get my 1994 T4 bodywork repaired which will involve replacing full height rear panels, sills and above windscreen. Been given crazy quote after time waster told me he could do the job in a couple of weeks for £400 which clearly wasn't realistic either. In North Ayrshire and van in Irvine and now without an MOT . Any suggestions welcome.
P.S. I'll try rodntod who was mentioned in another post here as they are in Glengranock but if anyone knows any others...
gayle View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Quote gayle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2017 at 10:07am
Rodntod (Ed) would be who I recommend but not sure how soon he'd be able to fit you in
Highly medicated for the safety of the masses
93fxdl View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote 93fxdl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2017 at 11:49am
ATC bodyworkx just outside killmarnock, seems to have experience of t4 repairs
https://m.facebook.com/ATC-Bodyworx-1470410066595415/?locale2=en_GB
Not a recommendation as such, since I have no personal experience of their work. You are allowed to drive without an mot provided it is straight to a pre-booked test or to a place of repair also taking it home is allowed provided you a taking it there to carry out repairs
Ttfn Glenn

Edited by BenGould - 08 June 2017 at 3:28pm
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is. If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem. Lack of funds is the mother of ingenuity
karmavanvliet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote karmavanvliet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2017 at 12:43pm
Just about to try to contact rodntod but are you sure about the 'OK to drive to a place of repair without an MOT' bit? To the actual MOT I knew about but didn't know the repair one.

Thanks to both of you for quick replies. Seems like the summer is disappearing in front of my eyes.

Post Options Post Options   Quote karmavanvliet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2017 at 12:48pm
Just realised ATC Kilmarnock are Ayrshire Tow Co and they gave me the quote which has frightened the pants off me! I'm maybe being unrealistic about how much this should really cost then :-(
93fxdl View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote 93fxdl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2017 at 2:32pm
Another option could be, just the mot work, then cosmetics at a later stage. smooth shiny paint can wait, just get the essentials done and enjoy your van. Unless you have a strong attachment and taking into account the condition and specifications of your existing van, consider getting a replacement?
Ttfn Glenn
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is. If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem. Lack of funds is the mother of ingenuity
BenGould View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Committee Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote BenGould Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2017 at 3:49pm
£400 for full height panels, sills and a windscreen panel doesn't seem overly expensive, especially for a good quality of work.
There is a lot of work removing the old stuff and anything surrounding the areas that is likely to get damaged before you even begin welding. Then there is the fact that replacement panels likely won't fit 100% and will need some "adjustment" to sit right.

A lot of money, yes, but that is quite a lot of work.

Ben
beetlesi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote beetlesi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2017 at 8:14pm
Ed is the man

Well worth the waiting list

Post Options Post Options   Quote karmavanvliet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2017 at 8:31pm
Oh you're absolutely right Ben. £400 was a great price however he didn't deliver and has left me with the van still not done and four months down the line with it out of MOT and being told by ATC in Kilmarnock that they would want £4000 for it which is why I'm on here asking for alternatives. The van ain't goin to be worth much more than that when it's done.

Post Options Post Options   Quote karmavanvliet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2017 at 8:34pm
Cheers, yes. Been in contact although he's not got back to me about coming to see it for an estimate.

Post Options Post Options   Quote karmavanvliet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2017 at 8:35pm
Originally posted by beetlesi

Ed is the man

Well worth the waiting list

Cheers and yes. been in contact but he's not got back to me to arrange a visit to estimate the work.

Post Options Post Options   Quote karmavanvliet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2017 at 8:38pm
Originally posted by 93fxdl

Another option could be, just the mot work, then cosmetics at a later stage. smooth shiny paint can wait, just get the essentials done and enjoy your van. Unless you have a strong attachment and taking into account the condition and specifications of your existing van, consider getting a replacement?
Ttfn Glenn

Even the MOT work - sills etc - would require a weldy guy and yes, I'd love to offload this and get another - but that was the plan when I got this as I've also got a T25 which had major work needed and now (about) just finished. Three would be seriously pushing it unfortunately but I can't believe I still don't have a van for this summer.
93fxdl View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote 93fxdl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2017 at 9:15pm
Has your van actually failed an mot? Might be an idea to put it through just in case, if nothing else, it gives you a work list.
A left field idea, buy a welding kit, some YouTube videos, couple of evening classes, and fix it yourself
Ttfn Glenn

Post Options Post Options   Quote karmavanvliet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2017 at 11:44am
Originally posted by 93fxdl

Has your van actually failed an mot? Might be an idea to put it through just in case, if nothing else, it gives you a work list.
A left field idea, buy a welding kit, some YouTube videos, couple of evening classes, and fix it yourself
Ttfn Glenn

It's not actually been through an MOT but the sills are rotted and the side window is about to fall out as the bodywork has just about completely rotted away. A mate had also suggested the DIY welding solution but I haven't got the heart for for it. If I was 20 years younger maybe...hell if the van was 20 years younger I wouldn't need to! (This isn't the ACTUAL van btw way. Just to point out special places of interest)
KarmaVanVliet 57
minnie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote minnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2018 at 1:26am
can somebody  tell me whereabouts rodntod is  
gayle View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Quote gayle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2018 at 9:11am
You can send him a message through the forum Minnie. He's in North Ayrshire
minnie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote minnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2018 at 4:34pm
thanks  gayle   just   wanted someone  as close to home    so   easier    to get   back after I drop off 

gayle View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Quote gayle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2018 at 9:15am
No prob. Where are you? :)
 Post Reply Post Reply