West of Scotland Volkswagen Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Chat > Sales, Wants, Swaps and Freebies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Posting pictures. All users please read.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Committee Member

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote BenGould Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Posting pictures. All users please read.
    Posted: 02 July 2017 at 11:58am
Due to recent changes in Photobucket's terms and conditions, they are now no longer allowing external links to pictures you upload there unless you pay for their premium services.

This morning I have written a new guide to posting pictures with a different image hosting website.

The downside to this is that a lot of the old posts that use Photobucket for to host pictures will soon loose all of the images as Photobucket break all the links. At the moment some users work, some don't.
Unless everyone goes back through ALL of their posts and moves ALL of their images over to a new provider, we will unfortunately loose a lot of the older images.

Link to guide HERE

Ben.

Edited by BenGould - 02 July 2017 at 11:59am
Dave Campbell View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dave Campbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2017 at 3:01pm
Its a nightmare. Resto threads and how to threads that I post here are usually mirrored on more than one other forum so its not even the problem of updating links here, I have to do the same on all the other forums as well which could be thousands of links.

Photobucket has been rubbish for years now so the idea of paying $400 for a glitchy, advert ridden service that I didnt like using when it was free is never gonna happen.

Dave.
beetlesi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote beetlesi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2017 at 10:31pm
Hopefully photobucket folds
and they go bust.

The amount of times I have created a post with a good few images and about to add the last image to photobucket and it'd crash and delete everything I'd spent an hour uploading!!!

I don't know how many times I nearly put my fist straight through the laptop screen!!!

Good riddance to photocrumpet
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dave Campbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2017 at 10:35pm
I had been using them less and less Si as I was getting close to 90% use of my storage allowance but as I had used them for the last 10 years every how to and resto thread has lost its illustration.

Rumblings are afoot that they are committing a kind of commercial suicide attempt in the hope a wealth benefactor will step in and save them from their bad management.

Dont do anything too drastic like deleting pictures or closing your account just yet, it may be restored to normal service.

Edited by Dave Campbell - 02 July 2017 at 10:36pm
beetlesi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote beetlesi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2017 at 10:52pm
Yeah I'm same.

That's all I've ever used mate.
93fxdl View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote 93fxdl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2017 at 7:25am
Retro rides forum have a long thread about the photobucket fiasco. Someone there has found a bypass solution
https://fixphotobucket.com/
Ttfn Glenn
If It's no good please delete this post.

Edited by BenGould - 10 July 2017 at 8:40am
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is. If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem. Lack of funds is the mother of ingenuity
93fxdl View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote 93fxdl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2017 at 4:21pm
Even become enough of a story for the BBC to cover it, seems eBay and amazon sellers are caught up in this corporate blackmail fiasco
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-40492668
Ttfn Glenn

Edited by BenGould - 10 July 2017 at 8:40am
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is. If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem. Lack of funds is the mother of ingenuity
BenGould View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Committee Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote BenGould Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2017 at 8:54am
Originally posted by 93fxdl

Retro rides forum have a long thread about the photobucket fiasco. Someone there has found a bypass solution
https://fixphotobucket.com/
Ttfn Glenn
If It's no good please delete this post.

While this will probably work and save people from re-uploading everything somewhere else, you will still have to go back through all your posts and edit them to use the new URL this site provides.

Unfortunately unless Photobucket go back on this decision there is no "simple" fix. Either way involves a lot of work. Unfortunately, for me, this will just mean all my old posts will be pictureless and all my new posts will have pictures hosted elsewhere. On saying that, they don't appear to have got around to blocking my images yet.

Ben

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dave Campbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2017 at 10:12am
As a follow up, hotwire who is the main man on retrorides has installed a bit of magic on that forum that bypasses the photobucket blackmail image and all pictures on the threads have re-apeared. 
 Post Reply Post Reply