Forum Home Forum Home > General Chat > Tech advice
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Heat Distribution pipe

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Paid member
Paid member

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Zane1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Heat Distribution pipe
    Posted: 22 July 2017 at 4:29pm

My wee heater cable has snapped off the heat distribution pipe the bit that connects to the butterfly valve.
Looking at it it looks like i need to take it off to replace it? does anyone know how i remove the thing ? I can see any obvious way to take it out no nuts or bolts holding it in.
Any advice would be much appreciated as my beetle is now currently boiling hot inside 

rodntod View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote rodntod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2017 at 6:24pm
Do you mean at the Y pipe under the back seat,or at the heat exchanger under the car?

"may the fweem be with you" eddie wan kenobi
gayle View Drop Down
Committee Member
Committee Member
Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Quote gayle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2017 at 8:06pm
Open the window and enjoy the heat :)
Highly medicated for the safety of the masses
Zane1991 View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Zane1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2017 at 11:06pm
Originally posted by rodntod

Do you mean at the Y pipe under the back seat,or at the heat exchanger under the car?

Hey its the Y thing under the seat :D 
Zane1991 View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Zane1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2017 at 11:07pm
Originally posted by gayle

Open the window and enjoy the heat :)
Its too hot its melting me 
93fxdl View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote 93fxdl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2017 at 12:33am
That part only directs hot air, either into the footwell or the heater channels, for front or windscreen. Climb underneath and free off the heat exchanger flaps, to actually turn the heat off.
Usually, the flap valve under the rear seat can be pushed closed Fim the front
Ttfn Glenn
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is. If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem. Lack of funds is the mother of ingenuity
rodntod View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote rodntod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2017 at 9:17pm
As Glenn says, the y pipe only diverts the heat.Won't be long til you need the heaters anyway LOL
Zane1991 View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Zane1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2017 at 11:00pm
Originally posted by rodntod

As Glenn says, the y pipe only diverts the heat.Won't be long til you need the heaters anyway LOL

The heat could be manageable but the smell of engine fumes is killing me lol any idea where that might be coming from ? i feel like its coming from my heaters but i wouldnt know.

Z  
rodntod View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote rodntod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2017 at 11:27pm
If you have holes in your heat exchangers ,you will be getting exhaust fumes in as you say through the heater tubes.

Ed
93fxdl View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote 93fxdl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2017 at 1:35pm
If the fumes are exhaust, that is carbon monoxide, it is FATAL! YOU MUST FIX IT!! another possibility is oil fumes, either from the breather pipes or oil leaking from the rocker covers or missing tinware allowing fumes back around the system.
I am a bit OTT about CO poisoning as I have lost two friends to it
Ttfn Glenn
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is. If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem. Lack of funds is the mother of ingenuity
 Post Reply Post Reply