West of Scotland Volkswagen Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Chat > Tech advice
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Clutch Arm Return Spring (Little B4st4rd)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote KennyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Clutch Arm Return Spring (Little B4st4rd)
    Posted: 01 August 2017 at 1:02pm
Has anybody got any tips as to how to fit the clutch arm return spring (late Beetle) ??
I've tried hooking the lever end first, then trying to shove the tail up with a hammer shank and flick it over onto the gearbox casting to no avail, 
then tried seating the tail first, and pulling the hooked end round via a looped length of welding wire round my foot, again to no avail (this idea might work if I had an assistant to do the pulling while I did the flicking of the hook onto the lever, but impossible myself, or am I just not trying hard enough?)
Engine's in the car, so the heat exchanger restricts access, is it doable with the motor in or am i best just whipping it out (the engine that is!!)
Thanks in advance...
Kenny
1967_vw View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote 1967_vw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2017 at 1:11pm
I've only done one of these with the engine in and i did it by seating the tail first and pulling the hooked end around with a length of chain. There were two of us though, and i was in a garage pit so could get quite a bit of pulling power on the chain, but it is doable.

If you are comfortable dropping the engine, i'd do it that way.

Kev
gayle View Drop Down
Committee Member
Committee Member
Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Quote gayle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2017 at 9:32am
Agree with getting the tail in first then heaving the hook round. Don't use a new cheap spring though, the tails are too short and the whole thing just spins round
Highly medicated for the safety of the masses
KennyC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote KennyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2017 at 10:27pm

Cheers for the replies folks, clutch spring was one of a couple of jobs that didn't get done....
Just run out of time....!
Bought the little car 9 weeks ago now, and set a finish deadline by booking her onto a ferry!
Currently sleeping in said Beetle, (have made a bed inside,) and slept at the top of the Grossglockner Pass in Austria last night, little cars's running well, long may that last!!!
Will get the assistance of a friend for the clutch spring on my return, thanks for your help, just needed to know it was doable with the engine in, and which way round was best. (Had the engine out already, it was then I noticed the spring was broken, but needed the car the next day, hence I had to stick the engine back in)
Love from Austria!!!!
Ken.
93fxdl View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote 93fxdl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2017 at 11:41pm
Awesome. Please supply photos and tales of your adventure
Ttfn Glenn
And I will never admit to jealousy
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is. If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem. Lack of funds is the mother of ingenuity
 Post Reply Post Reply