West of Scotland Volkswagen Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Chat > Restos and repairs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

The Orange Thing in Portugal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Pork n Cheese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Orange Thing in Portugal
    Posted: 18 August 2017 at 10:08am
Another couple of photos of when I got it, has the side screens and door screens as well, but tatty like the hood.
rodntod View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote rodntod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2017 at 10:14am
Hey Archie, it looks a bit big for your garage,so I'll happily take it off your hands rather than leave it outside LOL. It's cooler than penguin shit,good luck with the resto and keep the pics coming!!!!!!Thumbs Up

Ed
"may the fweem be with you" eddie wan kenobi
Pork n Cheese View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pork n Cheese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2017 at 10:20am
The 'Thing' is now at Cascais Classics to get the work started, delay due to them moving premises less than a week after dropping it off to them, so 4 weeks moving everything and setting up new workshop, now they are closed for summer holidays, resulting in only the 1300 engine out and the seats and carpets out for the first 3 months of project, be another month till they get started again to get the body off, will post again if and when progress, made the mistake of saying not urgent.
Need to check what front beam is on it when I get back, if it is King & link pins probably gonna change to ball joint front end, I will then be looking for a front beam with disks, but need to wait till I get back to look at it.

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pork n Cheese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2017 at 11:36am
Hi Ed, it is certainly different and scarcer than penguins shit in Portugal, will get more pic's loaded as and when they get back to work and make some progress, hoping to have it all done by the end of the year, depends on whether I go with engine mods right now as well, they are suggesting new B&P and heads to 1641, but not sure yet if it is worth doing that, would need all the other stuff that goes with the up sizing so may just hang off and see if I can pick something up ready to go in. The motor in it has only done 1100Kms since the car was built, was in storage for 9 years with the last owner.
Time will tell need to get a play with it first then make some decisions, will be fun thing only not an everyday driver for sure.
Cheers, Archie.
gambit_67 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gambit_67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2017 at 4:14pm
Hi Archie thats pretty cool and thats coming from someone who had a mint (modified) trekker, just what you need in a warm climite, not that we'd know here. Id hold off going 1641 as barrel walls are thinner and less reliable overall. It may have trekker beam on it which allows it to run so high and these are ball joint beams im sure. Good luck and keep the pics coming as Ed says

Frank

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pork n Cheese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2017 at 6:31am
Hi Frank,
thanks for the heads up and noted on what you say about the front beam,
the biggest issue I have is not knowing what was used, the original company who built the thing are no longer available and the guy I bought it from had very limited info of the technical side of it, but that's half the fun I guess, do you guys have any preference on front end set ups, king pin seems to be regarded as the most rugged for off road, but the down side being the set up for tracking etc.
The back end is for sure IRS and maybe from a bus, but happy enough with that and can be lowered easy I think if I go that route.
I am out of country at work right now, get back home second week in Sept and will be going past to see some things to confirm what I actually have, hopefully the body will be off by then and I can get more detailed info and start to plan for the rebuild.
Thinking on getting the ride height down quite a bit, I don't plan on doing any bolder climbing with it, or any real off roading to speak of, so comfort will take precedence over off road ability.
I had read on quite a few sites about the barrel thickness issue going to 1641, and with the hot weather would probably be more susceptible to this, for now I think a general tune up and good service of the 1300 motor and check the carb set up might be the way to go until I have some miles clocked and see how it responds.
For sure will post the progress as and when.
Archie.
gambit_67 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gambit_67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2017 at 1:41pm
To be honest the running gear could be anything as its all interchangable but id be surprised if trekker or thing only parts werent utilised as some of these were 'military spec' and had more robust capabilities such as limited slip diff gearbox, extra strengtheners on front beam, etc such as this, sorry if link doesnt work

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/350481.jpg

The samba website is a good point of reference for most things vw when you have info at hand but i see no reason to swap out running gear unless it has issues, its a museum piece that will be used for purpose was intended for. The previous owner couldve swapped/modified components i guess but id love to own it, its a rare beastie

Frank

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pork n Cheese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2017 at 2:25pm
Hi Frank, yes that is part of the problem, I have to date no idea what was used to build this, I doubt anything has been changed since the original build, it was built I think 73, but spent most of it's life in storage after the company who built it went bust and nobody wanted to manufacture it as a production vehicle, this is a one off prototype that never made it to manufacture, this was not a home garage build, it was intended as a buggy/jeep type vehicle it is not a Trekker as such, or an anything else for that matter it is what it is, I just want to make it more usable for my purposes, and setting up the tracking and camber on a king pin set up is a nightmare that's assuming you can find someone to do it, the high street mobs will not touch it, even if they knew how to do it.
Like I said when I get back and get a chance to ID the parts then I will have a better idea, but a museum piece it is not, but good fun ride is what it will become.

Archie.
gambit_67 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gambit_67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2017 at 3:50pm
Even though its prototype i dare say the parts were lifted from the vw bin, the fact its 4 stud indicates could be late bug (68 on) balljoint front beam and irs rear end similar to manx etc buggy set ups. Had chat with pal Ed about this last night and love the porsche rear end/lights. Do you have any info to back up your story about the cars history? Would be interesting to check out

Frank
Dave Campbell View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dave Campbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2017 at 8:20pm
Everytime I read "orange thing in Portugal" I think its a thread about Judith Chalmers.Tongue

Originally posted by gambit_67

love the porsche rear end/lights. 

Frank

Looking at the pics, are they Beetle tombstone rear lights behind the grills?

Welcome to the forum and looking forward to seeing this come together.

Dave
gambit_67 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gambit_67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2017 at 8:39pm
Originally posted by Dave Campbell

Everytime I read "orange thing in Portugal" I think its a thread about Judith Chalmers.Tongue

Originally posted by gambit_67

love the porsche rear end/lights. 

Frank

Looking at the pics, are they Beetle tombstone rear lights behind the grills?

Welcome to the forum and looking forward to seeing this come together.

Dave

I was referring to the overall shape and not the lights themselves Dave. Dont make me come up there and kick your shins

Frank
Dave Campbell View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dave Campbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2017 at 9:20pm
I was only asking!

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pork n Cheese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2017 at 10:22am
Hi folks, heading back to Portugal next Thursday and will go past and see what/if any progress has been made and try to ID the stuff I was prattling about, have decided to leave the motor as is for now, just get it serviced and tuned a bitty, and decide if anything needs done about it later after I have run it a bit, so will all be body off and do all the brakes fuel line electrics and paint............will keep posting, here is the badge from the manufacturer's but no info available to date but will keep searching.

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pork n Cheese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2017 at 7:08am
The Thing is making progress now, think my imminent return has prompted a flurry of activity, the garage sent me these last night, anyone on any thoughts on what can be seen, looks like ball joint front end to me from these, so one less concern, will be going past early next week to see in person the latest, will keep you posted.
 Post Reply Post Reply