Forum Home Forum Home > General Chat > Tech advice
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Oil light/pressure sound.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Paid member
Paid member

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote 93fxdl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oil light/pressure sound.
    Posted: 23 August 2017 at 1:44am
The most common failure is the switch or the wires, have you tested the wiring? Provided the wiring checks out, the easiest thing to do next is replace the switch, if you still have problems then start digging into the motor, sudden partial loss of oil pressure is unusual, provided the oil and filter haven't been neglected
Ttfn Glenn
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is. If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem. Lack of funds is the mother of ingenuity
gryan39 View Drop Down
Committee Member
Committee Member

Committee Member

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote gryan39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2017 at 7:47am
Plan is to check wiring next. And hopefully it is just the switch.
But now that I know about oil pressure it be good to find out if it's ok or not.
Not actually that sure how check wiring but I'll follow the instructions on that link you posted up.
I have a multi meter but not that sure how use itother that check the battery lol
93fxdl View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote 93fxdl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2017 at 2:05pm
Why not disconnect the high pressure sender, then drive, no buzzer/light means the wiring is ok, fit new sender, test drive again, think positively and enjoy the repair, if the warnings are still happening, then go down the worry about worst case scenarios. Try the simple/cheap fixes first
Ttfn Glenn
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is. If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem. Lack of funds is the mother of ingenuity
gryan39 View Drop Down
Committee Member
Committee Member

Committee Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote gryan39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2017 at 2:38pm
Ye good idea. I have ordered a pressure tester anyway. Cheap as.
I figure if I end up changing a sender I'm just as well testing
Pressure at same time.   
gryan39 View Drop Down
Committee Member
Committee Member

Committee Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote gryan39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2017 at 4:19pm
Ok long question. So you want test a wire with a multimeter
Probe at one end probe at other and that tells you iif wire ok ( not broken). Easy.
But what do you do whe you want test wire and it runs from engine to the dashboard. Maybe you don't know where it goes. And even if you do your multimeter wires won't stretch that far.   
Can you maybe turn vehicle on and see if you get a reading at the engine end of the wire. If so how do you do this with a multimeter. Thanks
93fxdl View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote 93fxdl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2017 at 4:57pm
Set meter to 20volt dc scale. Connect black lead to ground/negative pobe wire to be tested with red lead, this will tell you if the wire you are testing is supplying electricity, ignition on/off will tell you if It's a switched live. It may be only a 9volt supply as often things connected to the dash are run from a voltage regulator.
If you wish to check a negative wire, switch meter to ohms, a horseshoe shaped marking, connect one meter lead to earth and one to the wire being tested.
Since the oil pressure sensor is a basic on/off switch. Try it once disconnected and once bypassed. Single wire- connect to earth or two wires, connect them together.
Or kidnap Ben
Ttfn Glenn
BenGould View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Committee Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote BenGould Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2017 at 5:05pm
I am not currently available for kidnapping.

Ben.
gryan39 View Drop Down
Committee Member
Committee Member

Committee Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote gryan39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2017 at 5:09pm
Nice one ☝️
gryan39 View Drop Down
Committee Member
Committee Member

Committee Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote gryan39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2017 at 7:57pm
A we update. Tested both wires to the senders.
They both getting power through them so they must be fine.
So I'll wait till my pressure gauge arrives and I'll test the pressure.
If that's ok then it's prob the sender unit. Getting there and it's more knowledge
Appreciate all the help.
gryan39 View Drop Down
Committee Member
Committee Member

Committee Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote gryan39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2017 at 9:41pm
Ah it murder waiting on parts when all want do get stuck into it lol
gayle View Drop Down
Committee Member
Committee Member
Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Quote gayle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2017 at 8:46am
Still not here?? That's been forever!
Highly medicated for the safety of the masses
gryan39 View Drop Down
Committee Member
Committee Member

Committee Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote gryan39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2017 at 6:44pm
It's here. It's on. And i have checked everything 10 times but I have to say I'm
Kind of bricking it now that I have to start it up and read pressure. Hope it's all on ok 🤞
gryan39 View Drop Down
Committee Member
Committee Member

Committee Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote gryan39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2017 at 7:02pm
Oh man. Ok connected pressure tester up 2 engine and the needle is not moving.
Is that possible. Can it be that bad. I have 2 connection points. One at end of the head and one at.
oil filter. Connected to the one at the head as it's easier. Could this be a issue?
On brickwerts it says all engines have a blue sender switch and a (for this engine) a black one.
Both mines are black tho they do have different numbers stamped on them. Could last owner put black one on to hide this low pressure issue. Would the engine last this long with low pretissues? Lots questions ah
gryan39 View Drop Down
Committee Member
Committee Member

Committee Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote gryan39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2017 at 7:08pm
Do you need leave it running to build up pressure or should it show it straight away
gryan39 View Drop Down
Committee Member
Committee Member

Committee Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote gryan39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2017 at 7:46pm
How do you test the new pressure gauge to make sure it works. ?
93fxdl View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote 93fxdl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2017 at 8:23pm
Connect to a hosepipe, household water pressure is about 50 psi
Ttfn Glenn
gryan39 View Drop Down
Committee Member
Committee Member

Committee Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote gryan39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2017 at 8:25pm
Will try that
gryan39 View Drop Down
Committee Member
Committee Member

Committee Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote gryan39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2017 at 8:48pm
So tried that. It had we leak not much at point where they joined up. Ie hose pipe and gauge but still no movement at all. Think you would expect some movement
BenGould View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Committee Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote BenGould Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2017 at 9:19pm
Connect it at the oil filter housing. There will be less pressure at the head. A cold engine at idle can make 5 or 6bar, once it's warm this will drop to about 1 bar at idle.

Ben.
gryan39 View Drop Down
Committee Member
Committee Member

Committee Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote gryan39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2017 at 9:44pm
will connect to oil filter housing tomorrow,  hope my new gauge is fecked, 

What do yo guys think about having 2 black connectors when brickwerts said every vehicle has at least one blue connector.
93fxdl View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote 93fxdl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2017 at 9:53pm
My info on water pressure was wrong, less than 10 psi, so possible gauge might not read that low.
Ttfn Glenn
gryan39 View Drop Down
Committee Member
Committee Member

Committee Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote gryan39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2017 at 9:56pm
Lol least it got me out again lol
gayle View Drop Down
Committee Member
Committee Member
Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Quote gayle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2017 at 9:11am
Check the black sender is the correct part, aftermarket eBay parts could just be a different colour though. It should have a part number stamped on the side of it
Highly medicated for the safety of the masses
gryan39 View Drop Down
Committee Member
Committee Member

Committee Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote gryan39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2017 at 8:45pm
So yesterday edd suggested that the the new gauge I bought is not sensitive enough to read the pressure in engine.   Keith kindly lent me one and all seems ok. I'm a happy camper again.
I was getting 4 bar at start up then idle about 2 bar so seems strong. My parts are at post office sorting hub so I'll go get them sat morn and hopefully I have correct parts and all should be well. Thanks all for help and I'll let you know if that's it sorted. Cheers.
gryan39 View Drop Down
Committee Member
Committee Member

Committee Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote gryan39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2017 at 6:24pm
So good news. No buzzer. Oil pressure checked and ok.
But. Brickwerts says all engines have blue sender switch and also if you have 2 then other will be white ,grey,or black depending on year etc.
Well mines had 2 black ones. But I fitted the blue one and the warning came on.
So fitted black one and no warning.
But I think it should be blue one. But the black one works I think only because it has a higher pressure bar limit resulting on buzzer not been triggered.
Does anyone here have a 1.6td engine to check this.
Or have the knowledge lol. Maybe the wire to that switch has a fault and last owner just put black switch in cause he knew oil pressure was fine.

What you think.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>