West of Scotland Volkswagen Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Chat > Restos and repairs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Starter motor and Dynamo refurb

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Jackamac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Starter motor and Dynamo refurb
    Posted: 30 August 2017 at 1:33pm
I'm looking for a recommendation for an Auto electrics whiz who could refurb my original starter motor and generator off a 67 splitty. I want to know if they are still serviceable or if I need new ones. Any ideas folks?
BenGould View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Committee Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote BenGould Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2017 at 2:02pm
Both are servicable, but new/reconditioned ones should be available from most motor factors on an exchange basis. Also I would seriously consider an alternator upgrade instead of the original dynamo.

Ben
Jackamac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jackamac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2017 at 8:03pm
Thanks Ben. I wanted to keep the resto as near original as possible but will consider an alternator upgrade. Will have a scout around my local motor factors.
Cheers
Colin
93fxdl View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote 93fxdl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2017 at 1:44pm
Starter motors and dynamos are fairly easy to diy refresh, clean and undercut the commutator, then fit new brushes, an additional dynamo item is to clean the contacts in the regulator. If a greater level of restoration is needed, New bearings can be fitted.
But if they are both working, then why make more work and expense for yourself
Ttfn Glenn
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is. If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem. Lack of funds is the mother of ingenuity
48pop View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote 48pop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2017 at 3:56pm
Over the years i've had a few components (old stuff) rebuilt at Shandon in Bellshill

Edited by BenGould - 31 August 2017 at 4:04pm
 Post Reply Post Reply