West of Scotland Volkswagen Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Chat > Sales, Wants, Swaps and Freebies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Wheels N'Bits Wanted (Beetle)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote KennyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wheels N'Bits Wanted (Beetle)
    Posted: 07 September 2017 at 1:39pm
Hello Guys,

Looking for a set of five standard width (or 5.5" wide if such a second hand thing exists?) 
4 stud Beetle wheels in good or shotblastable condition (not heavily pitted)

A late 70's cold air intake box from under the bonnet, the type with the fan "wooo!"
(and if you have it, the little panel and switch for the dash)

Also, a fuel filler neck, but the type with the half turn filler cap, not the stupid turn n'turn threaded thing...

Oh, and some hen's teeth if you have any!

Kenny.
Lockerbie/Prestwick
93fxdl View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote 93fxdl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2017 at 3:20pm
Just kampers do brand new 5 1/2 and also 6 inch wide wheels for about 60 quid each, occasionally 5 1/5 wide standard wheels turn up but since they were only used on a few late models, they are a bit scarce
Ttfn Glenn
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is. If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem. Lack of funds is the mother of ingenuity
KennyC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote KennyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2017 at 6:46pm
Hi Glenn,
Yeah, but what are the quality of these rims like???
I bought my 50 Jahre Mexican cheap as it needed some mechanical work,
"No problem" I thought, I can do that, and spent a fair ammount of cash with VW Heritage to purchase the parts needed....
I just didn't realise how crap these parts are...
3500 miles later (my Beetle is currenly my daily driver) the "new" TRW steering box is wooly and slack, the "new" brake drums are juddering the pedal, the "clunk" from the rear is back and suspect the "new" torsion bar rubber mounts (fitted with silicone lubricant, not oil) the "new" window winder mechanism needs two hands, one to wind the crunching handle, the other to push the glass up....
Need I go on....
I think I should be looking for good original parts....
Especially after the "new" needle valve in the carb repair kit failed,
Beetle parked nose uphill on Friday night, then on Monday morning heading for work struggled to start, and when it did the oil warning light was on so shut off immediately, on inspection I found petrol flowing out of the top of the dipstick tube!!!!!!!
The valve had failed, petrol had been running down the carb all weekend and filled the crankcase to the top,
1/2 hour late for work and two oil changes later makes for an expensive needle valve :-(
Kenny.
rodntod View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote rodntod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2017 at 9:06pm
I've got a few 4 stud stock bug rims Kenny,I'll check and see if i have 5 that are not badly pitted.

Ed
"may the fweem be with you" eddie wan kenobi
KennyC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote KennyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2017 at 9:18pm
Cheers Ed,
I must admit, I'm tempted with the Just Campers eBay wheels, they're down to £49.60 each including postage, surely they can't be that bad.... can they??
But if you've got any rims then I'm interested....
I'll be up in Prestwick the 22nd/23rd so could pop round then?
Kenny.
lucky4 View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote lucky4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2017 at 10:47pm
I got the 5.5 inch 4 stud rims for my 71 beetle from Just Kampers. They have now been on for 2 years and still look like new. The car is currently living outside so the wheels seem great so far
KennyC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote KennyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2017 at 5:48pm
Cheers for the info Lucky, I was just worried they'd need a bag full of weights round one side of the rim!!
(I note the price has gone back up on these??)
Ed,
Did you have any luck? (No rush, not hassling in any way, I know you're a busy man)
Kenny.
minnie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote minnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2017 at 8:07pm
csp sell the wheels in 5 .5 and  7 inch x15

rodntod View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote rodntod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2017 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by KennyC

Cheers for the info Lucky, I was just worried they'd need a bag full of weights round one side of the rim!!
(I note the price has gone back up on these??)
Ed,
Did you have any luck? (No rush, not hassling in any way, I know you're a busy man)
Kenny.

Sorry Kenny,been running back and forth to hospital every day for the past 3 weeks. The situation has improved now,and normal service will be resumed asap Embarrassed. I'll have a look today and let you know what's there.

Cheers
Ed
gayle View Drop Down
Committee Member
Committee Member
Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Quote gayle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2017 at 11:40am
Glad things have improved Ed x
Highly medicated for the safety of the masses
rodntod View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote rodntod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2017 at 9:41pm
Originally posted by gayle

Glad things have improved Ed x

Thanks Gayle,and sorry i missed the cruise,it's been a crazy 3 weeks.
gayle View Drop Down
Committee Member
Committee Member
Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Quote gayle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2017 at 10:44am
It was wet and windy. We did all talk about you behind your back though :)
Highly medicated for the safety of the masses
 Post Reply Post Reply