Forum Home Forum Home > General Chat > Tech advice
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

bleedin' brakes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Paid member
Paid member

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote 93fxdl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: bleedin' brakes
    Posted: 20 October 2017 at 4:15pm
Fungus developed a spongy/sinking brake pedal, so I replaced the master cylinder, used a vacuum bleeder to suck a litre of fresh dot4 through the system, and I still have no brakes
Any ideas what to try next?
Ttfn Glenn
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is. If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem. Lack of funds is the mother of ingenuity
Dave Campbell View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dave Campbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2017 at 6:32pm
Faulty replacement master cylinder?
ihami01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ihami01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2017 at 7:30pm
Might be worth bleeding the old fashioned way
Anything is worth a try.
rodntod View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote rodntod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2017 at 7:53pm
Originally posted by ihami01

Might be worth bleeding the old fashioned way
Anything is worth a try.

As above Glenn, I've had no luck bleeding the t4 with pressure bleed or vacuum. I let each one gravity bleed for a minute or 2 ,then did it the old fashioned way to finish off.

Ed
"may the fweem be with you" eddie wan kenobi
93fxdl View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote 93fxdl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2017 at 5:32pm
Hopefully not a faulty cylinder, but knowing my luck anything is possible.
Will try bleeding again now I have some more fluid, I used the vacuum bleed as I couldn't get any fluid to pump through,
Now the weather is against me and back to work so wont get to it again till Wednesday
On a good note my runabout Peugeot passed its mot.
Ttfn Glenn
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is. If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem. Lack of funds is the mother of ingenuity
rodntod View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote rodntod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2017 at 5:47pm
Iirc i'm pretty sure i had to bleed the master cyl first,then at the union block on the bulkhead before i could get anything at the wheels Glenn.

Ed
"may the fweem be with you" eddie wan kenobi
93fxdl View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote 93fxdl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2017 at 6:00pm
Now I have a fresh supply of fluid I can try again. Will start from the master again.
But not till wednesday at the earliest
Ttfn Glenn
gryan39 View Drop Down
Committee Member
Committee Member

Committee Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote gryan39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2017 at 3:28pm
Any luck with this. Brakes on my T25 spongy.
Tho if you 'pump' them they go hard. When on the move
93fxdl View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote 93fxdl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2017 at 5:07pm
My problem was caused by an idiot mistake on my part, when I fitted the new master cylinder, I failed to position the cylinder correctly as I fitted it, and failed to engage the pushrod into the piston.
93fxdl View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote 93fxdl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2017 at 5:12pm
Spongy brakes usually means there's air in the system and needs bleeding, excess pedal travel points towards adjustment being needed, a test can be comparing pedal travel with handbrake on and off
Ttfn Glenn
gryan39 View Drop Down
Committee Member
Committee Member

Committee Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote gryan39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2017 at 5:36pm
Cheers. Prob could do with change oil as don't know when it was last done.
Not in year half since I owned it
 Post Reply Post Reply