West of Scotland Volkswagen Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Chat > Tech advice
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Cleaning a vinyl headlining

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote BillyF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cleaning a vinyl headlining
    Posted: 01 November 2017 at 3:47pm
Having looked at the costs of replacing the headliner on my Beetle, I'm wondering if anyone has a suggestion for an effective cleaning compound? 

It's got 5 decades of what looks like smoke tar, and was cream originally... A neighbour's suggested using a steam cleaner, but I'm not so sure of that idea.

Many thanks
Billy F
rodntod View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote rodntod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2017 at 3:58pm
Cif foam does a great job,and dry as you go with a hairdryer to save it sagging/stretching .Let it soak in for a couple of minutes before wiping gently.There will be other products to do the job,but it's always worked wonders for me.

Ed
"may the fweem be with you" eddie wan kenobi
93fxdl View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote 93fxdl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2017 at 5:00pm
+1 for cif. But when I did mine only the cream was available Use a soft nail brush to work it in, then a damp cloth to wipe off.
Ttfn Glenn

Edited by 93fxdl - 01 November 2017 at 5:02pm
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is. If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem. Lack of funds is the mother of ingenuity
gryan39 View Drop Down
Committee Member
Committee Member

Committee Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote gryan39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2017 at 12:29pm
Good tip that. Could be we winter job
BillyF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote BillyF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2017 at 5:40pm
Sound advice guys!
Maybe we will all have lovely headlining after the winter....

Thanks Thumbs Up

Billy F
gayle View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Quote gayle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2017 at 10:52am
I used asdas kitchen cleaner with bleach. Worked amazing and smelled a lot better afterwards too. Just don't rub too hard, old headliners are brittle and can tear easily
Highly medicated for the safety of the masses
 Post Reply Post Reply