West of Scotland Volkswagen Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Chat > Tech advice
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Removing stuck rear hubs on 67 T2 van..

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Jackamac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Removing stuck rear hubs on 67 T2 van..
    Posted: 01 November 2017 at 3:51pm
..as part of a rear axle strip down. Big 46mm nuts are off but both hubs are stuck on the splines. I've tried copious amounts of wd40 and taps(!) with a hammer without success. Does anyone know of an inexpensive and big enough hub puller I could use that would fit using either the 205mm diameter stud holes or hook on the hub edge? Or is there another way?
rodntod View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote rodntod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2017 at 3:56pm
Is it stock reduction boxes,swing axle conv or irs conv? I'm assuming its a late split by the year?

Ed
"may the fweem be with you" eddie wan kenobi
Jackamac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jackamac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2017 at 4:02pm
It's the original rear axle configuration with reduction boxes on a 67 splitty. The drum is stuck on the splines on the reduction driven gear shaft
rodntod View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote rodntod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2017 at 5:12pm
Before you get to the "heating up the drum" stage, try bolting the wheel back on and use that as your leverage.If you have an old rim you can try a few decent whacks with a heavy hammer and a lump of wood on the inside with it fitted to the van.Also run your star adjusters all the way back,every little helps.And if the running gear is still on the van,sit it on the ground with the wheel bolted up and shake the van from side to side.

ps. wd40 is absolute pants for freeing rusted stuff up.Try plusgas or duck oil Wink

Edited by rodntod - 01 November 2017 at 8:01pm
"may the fweem be with you" eddie wan kenobi
gayle View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Quote gayle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2017 at 10:53am
Duck oil? From freshly squeezed ducks??
Highly medicated for the safety of the masses
93fxdl View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote 93fxdl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2017 at 1:31pm
A homebrew release agent which gets rave reviews is a mix of auto trans fluid and acetone. Personally I stocked up on gt85 when I got a cheap deal on a 5 litre can. Trouble being I usually cannot wait for it to work and go straight to default setting of fb hammer and gas axe
Ttfn Glenn
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is. If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem. Lack of funds is the mother of ingenuity
Jackamac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jackamac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2017 at 2:14pm
Watched a guy using a big puller at https://vanclan.co/guy-finds-a-forgotten-1955-vw-bus-in-a-lost-forest-brings-it-back-to-life/ . But I've managed to get one of them off with lashings of wd40 and over the top brute force. Just as well I've a spare couple of drums! Off to buy some plusgas/duck oil/GT85 then on to the other side! Thanks for all your responses.
 Post Reply Post Reply