Forum Home Forum Home > General Chat > Tech advice
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Headlight mounting (3 screw lights)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Paid member
Paid member

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote AdamGiles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Headlight mounting (3 screw lights)
    Posted: 09 November 2017 at 2:02pm
So got me some shiny new Hella headlights for my 73 beetle.
However, having taken the old ones off, I've found that the mounting bracket on one of the wings is threaded so new headlight can't fasten in.

Anyone got any clever ideas of easy-ish fix (I can't weld for a start)?

Thanks

Adam
93fxdl View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote 93fxdl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2017 at 4:23pm
If by threaded, you mean the thread in the mounting has stripped, there's several options to repair, the simplest is to loop a piece of wire through the hole to take up the space, or bend the mount to reduce the width of the hole
Ttfn Glenn
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is. If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem. Lack of funds is the mother of ingenuity
AdamGiles View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote AdamGiles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2017 at 9:13pm
Will that a go on Saturday.

thanks
Dave Campbell View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dave Campbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2017 at 10:00pm
if there is any thread left in the mount hole, wrap a bit of PTFE tape around the screw and see if that takes up the play. start with a little and add until it feels secure. 
93fxdl View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote 93fxdl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2017 at 11:34pm
An alternative could be spire nuts/U clips/chimney nuts and several other name. A piece of flat strip bent into a U shape with a clearance hole one side and a thread, the other side. Often used with self tappers to hold speakers
Ttfn glenn
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is. If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem. Lack of funds is the mother of ingenuity
 Post Reply Post Reply