Forum Home Forum Home > General Chat > Tech advice
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Electrics for a heated rear screen

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Paid member
Paid member

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote lucky4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Electrics for a heated rear screen
    Posted: 04 March 2018 at 11:09pm
I'm just trying to put back together my Late Bay and it had a heated rear screen glass but there are no electrics or wiring for it. I realise it will need a relay and a switch for power but I would have liked to have the screen on a timer in case I forgot it was on. I have seen relays for other cars with built in 10 minute timers but I don't know if I can just go ahead and fit these.
Is there a VW timed relay that I could use? I have also seen relays with a separate timer delay but this seems a bit more cumbersome way to achieve what I want to do.
Anyone with any advice in doing this type of thing would be appreciated.
gayle View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Quote gayle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2018 at 10:53am
When I put one in my beetle, I wired it in to the ignition wiring so it would always turn off when the car was off. I like the timer idea too though but no idea about relays I'm afraid. Wiring is witchcraft
Highly medicated for the safety of the masses
rodntod View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote rodntod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2018 at 11:28am
Use an illuminated switch John,makes it a little harder to forget to put it off Smile
"may the fweem be with you" eddie wan kenobi
gayle View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Quote gayle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2018 at 5:35pm
I wired in a beeper for my Scirocco headlights. Comes on when I turn off the ignition. Was a flat battery once a week before then
Highly medicated for the safety of the masses
lucky4 View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote lucky4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2018 at 10:48pm
I'll give the illuminated switch a try Ed. I'll put it through the ignition as well so as to prevent me leaving it on to drain the battery. The delay timer relay I saw on Ebay was for a Peugeot but I wasn't sure if it would work on a 77 VW bus.
John
rodntod View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote rodntod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2018 at 10:51pm
I'm sure I've got a VW one lying about somewhere John, I'll see if i can dig it out if you like.

Zippy View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Zippy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2018 at 11:30am
These electrical diagrams for a 71 bay from thesamba.com show how it "should" be wired in
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/baybus_71a.jpg
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/baybus_71b.jpg
Hope that helps!
Z

----------
Dubbin' since 1994 :)
lucky4 View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote lucky4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2018 at 11:07pm
Thanks for the info. All I need to get my head round now is what relay numbers are what. This 'black magic' electric stuff does this to me every time.
rodntod View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote rodntod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2018 at 10:15am
Originally posted by lucky4

Thanks for the info. All I need to get my head round now is what relay numbers are what. This 'black magic' electric stuff does this to me every time.

Hi John, got your email. I've had a look in some boxes for an illuminated vw heated screen switch,but no joy.If you're using a 4 pin relay,the wiring is ;

Term 30- 12+ from battery (permanent)
 Term 85- ground/earth
 Term 86- power to the heated screen
 Term 87- switched 12+ (only live when ign is on)

You can get a 5 pin timer relay instead if you wanted to ,which would switch it off after 10 mins.

Ed

Post Reply Post Reply