West of Scotland Volkswagen Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Chat > Restos and repairs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

My Wedding Transportation (Maybe)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote whamcars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My Wedding Transportation (Maybe)
    Posted: 14 April 2018 at 10:03pm
The next piece of the puzzle

Primed

The back of this got primed too. It creates a bit of soot when you weld but what else can you do?

Nearly there. Just the bottom of the rear quarter left to weld in

Wham Cars Retro Workshop
whamcars View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote whamcars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2018 at 10:26pm
The wing mounting flange on the quarter was a mess. There should be a captive nut where the hole is

Repair piece

Now for the tricky bit

Wham Cars Retro Workshop
whamcars View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote whamcars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2018 at 4:35pm
I clamped the panel in place and marked where I thought the captive nut should go

And then bolted the wing on

Captive nut ready to be welded in

I clamped the panel back in and test fitted a bolt. It only went in about half way and stopped. I had a mini panic as I'd seen repair panels with a stud fixing for the bottom wing mounting. But they were for older cars. I was sure later cars used a captive nut and bolt. A quick internet search showed I was right and a wee bit of clearancing had the bolt going all the way in

So with that all looking good it was time to weld it in. I got about half a dozen tacks done and ran out of gas

Edited by whamcars - 25 April 2018 at 4:37pm
Wham Cars Retro Workshop
whamcars View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote whamcars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2018 at 4:51pm
It's less than two months 'til my wedding. There's no way I'm going to finish the car in time.

On to plan B

I started by replacing the exhaust. I bought a replacement from Heritage. The fit wasn't brilliant. My tail pipes ended up a bit wonky and needed tweaking to get them lined up with the bumper (even now they don't sit quite right). Time will tell how good it is

The old exhaust was on the car when I got it 20 years ago

The heavy duty stainless tail pipes from Heritage polished up well. These are 20 years old and well worth the money

Edited by whamcars - 01 May 2018 at 4:04pm
Wham Cars Retro Workshop
whamcars View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote whamcars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2018 at 4:30pm
I tried jacking the low tailpipe up while I pushed the high one down. That didn't work. Then I had an idea. This way I could lever up and down at the same time

Better

Time to fit the upright wings from the mexi bug. It was nice to finally see the back of the sloping wings the car came with

The lower front holes on both sides didn't line up with the bolt holes on the body. Strange. I'm pretty sure the wings are original VW Mexico

The headlight mounting tab on the pass side wing had rotted away

The drivers side one was good so I made a copy

To try and keep it looking factory I plug welded the tab from below

It looks like it's going to work

The screw head lines up with the rust stain on the paintwork. Success!

Edited by whamcars - 01 May 2018 at 4:32pm
Wham Cars Retro Workshop
TheDocmeister View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote TheDocmeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 10:32pm
Some lovely fab work going on there Sir!

Handshake
whamcars View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote whamcars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 5:05pm

Originally posted by TheDocmeister

Some lovely fab work going on there Sir!

Handshake

Cheers Smile

I've got too many bumper holes and not enough horn grill holes

No need for a cardboard template here. I marked straight onto some sheet steel. I also marked where the horn grill will go

I'd been using the finger grinder at max power with 40 grit belts and I kept breaking through on either side of the weld. On this I used 80 grit followed by 120 grit with the power turned right down. This gave much better results

Even so, with a bright light held behind the wing There were two pin holes but I managed to weld them without a problem

With everything smoothed off there was a slight bulging along the length of the filler patch. After about 100 goes at heating and quenching it I was getting nowhere. I got on the web and found a discussion on The HAMB. One recommendation was ; heating a small spot at a time and then beating the spot with a wooden mallet/slapper with a block of wood behind the wing and then cooling with compressed air. This worked fine but It's a really slow process

I cut the horn grill hole out of a scrap wing and used it as a template to mark the good wings

To me it looks a bit wonky but the bars on the horn grill are parallel with the straight edge of the wing so it must be right. Right?

Edited by whamcars - 17 June 2018 at 6:55pm
Wham Cars Retro Workshop
bawheid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote bawheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2018 at 7:32pm
Just saw the latest on fb. Looks great, very impressed indeed!
whamcars View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote whamcars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2018 at 9:01pm
Originally posted by bawheid

Just saw the latest on fb. Looks great, very impressed indeed!

Ta

Once I had both wings fitted I could see that the drivers side grill hole was way off. I had to weld a piece in so I could move the hole

With all the welding done I got on with the filling and sanding. This seemed to go on forever. Once it was done my cleaning crew got to work. You can tell the wee one is thrilled

I decided to try Rustoleum paint. I sent my filler flap to Avenue Coatings and they did a great job of matching the colour. Although it did take them four weeks. After three coats the paint was patchy and you could see the colour was really uneven. I had thinned the paint too much. So for the next two coats I added a lot less white spirit. That made the difference and it started to look a lot better. But at sixteen hours between coats I didn't have time to do any more

Wham Cars Retro Workshop
whamcars View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote whamcars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2018 at 9:41pm
The car had no front indicators so I decided to put them in the headlight bowls. I had a box of LEDs that I bought to light the rear floor area of my taxi after endless complaints from customers not being able to see where they were putting their feet getting in and out of the taxi. This then led to complaints about the lights being too bright. So I knew they would make good indicators. The only other thing I needed was a new flasher unit to let the LEDs work with the old style bulbs in the rear lights. I got one from Classic Car Leds

I started by doing a test fit on an old headlight

I found a clear, orange, model paint at the local HobbyCraft. So I lightly sanded the LEDs and then applied three coats of paint

The wiring on my headlights had always been a bit messy but looking in my donor T4 I found the correct headlight connectors with enough cable on them to rewire the headlights

My good mate Ivan came over from the USA for the wedding. We always used to work on cars together (He's building a twin turbo V8 Ford Focus back in America). So he was happy to come over and help out. With the help of his son Connor we gave the wheels a spruce up with some satin black paint

With all the lights working and the wheels painted I was getting close to finishing my job list. I needed to turn the car round. So I jumped in, started it up and pushed the clutch down. At about halfway down the clutch pedal went soft and I couldn't get any gears. The clutch cable snapped! Getting the old one out was easy but the bowden tube was seized solid and took a good few hours to remove so I could feed the new one in

Edited by whamcars - Yesterday at 10:51am
Wham Cars Retro Workshop
gayle View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Quote gayle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2018 at 10:17pm
Did you spray the rustoleum on or did you use the roller method?
Highly medicated for the safety of the masses
whamcars View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote whamcars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2018 at 10:19pm
With the clutch cable fitted I tried the pedal. It didn't feel right and no amount of adjusting would make it go into gear. Somehow, while I was fitting the clutch cable I had managed to dislodge the clutch release bearing. This was on the Wednesday before my wedding on Saturday. I had put so much work into the car I'd had enough. So I went and told Jade my OH the bad news. "No way" she said. "you're finishing it." So Ivan came over and we started to take the engine out

With the bearing out we couldn't figure out how the retaining clips fitted. A quick google showed us the way. But the Youtube video we watched showed the spring clips fitting much deeper into the bearing. I suspected that I had a missmatch of parts. So I drilled the bearing to let the clips sit further in

On Thursday morning Ivan was back to help me refit the engine. He's a trooper and I can't thank him enough (he was on his holidays)

Wedding day

All that's left is to say thanks to Simon, Gary, Alan, Iain, Connor and Ivan for all their help
Wham Cars Retro Workshop
93fxdl View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote 93fxdl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 2:24am
Congratulations on everything
Ttfn Glenn
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is. If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem. Lack of funds is the mother of ingenuity
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12