West of Scotland Volkswagen Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Chat > Sales, Wants, Swaps and Freebies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Advice & parts please

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote glasgowgolfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Advice & parts please
    Posted: 19 March 2018 at 11:03am
Hi
Looking for some advice and probably parts.
1975 Beetle (Actually a Kit Car)

Both Front doors not locking!! well drivers door locks but doesn't unlock..im still having to slide across from passenger side key goes in and sounds as if unlocking but still stuck ;o( passenger side not even trying to lock...
hoping someone might have spare locks or be able to offer advice...
also she is coughing and spluttering a wee bit pulling away ..reading forums im seeing things like check plugs, in line filter etc ..thinking of buying Accuspark Coil,Leads, plugs, & their patented device to remove the need for points...any thoughts....(have put a link to view)

oh and im not that handy with a spanner so if anyone can point me towards someone who can sort my door locks and engine prob who is good and doesn't cost the earth would be marvellous....

cheers

Dave

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170771526464?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649
its a Beetle with a leather jacket on
malky39 View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote malky39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2018 at 11:29pm
For the locks if they are just beetle handles etc. You can get a set with matching keys from gsf easy to install.
I got a accuspark electronic ignition module when I got a new engine for my bug if you have a working coil, leads and plugs you don't need to buy them you could just get the electronic bits.
The first one I got failed and was replaced quickly with no hassle buy the supplier. Was probably just a faulty one. These things happen.
Your man to do the work would be Ed on here, used and abuse by many a forum member 🙂
93fxdl View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote 93fxdl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2018 at 7:18am
A common failure with door locks is the connecting rods coming adrift.
What kit is your toy? A picture of the existing locks and handles may help as just because your car is beetle based doesn't mean beetle handles or locks have been used, marina handles were a popular choice in the 70s 80s
Ttfn Glenn
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is. If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem. Lack of funds is the mother of ingenuity
gayle View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Quote gayle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2018 at 9:30am
Any chance you could post up pics of your locks and possibly the mechanism please? Beetle locks are easy to fix, even those rubbish with spanners can do it :) if you're having trouble posting pics, please message Ben Gould on here and he'll stick them up for you

And before you spend money on your electronic ignition, I'd go over the checklist incase that's not even the problem. Beetles are really easy to work on, get yourself a workshop manual and it'll all be in there
Highly medicated for the safety of the masses
glasgowgolfer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote glasgowgolfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2018 at 4:00pm
Hi All
Tanks for your replies, I am 100% sure they are Beetle Handles/Locks/Mechanism as I have checked online....
I have now removed the door cards and passenger side, the wee spigot that is screwed on and had a spring under it ..well the end that engages the lock has sheared off unfortunately cant get these but east to take off an old handle also the actual mechanism looks a wee bit manky so will take it out and bath in oil to hopefully free it off...
the drivers side actually locks but wont unlock...I need to put my hand in and fiddle with it to allow door to unlock so same again I will remove it and fully lubricate it and hopefully that will be it..

its a Beetle with a leather jacket on
 Post Reply Post Reply