West of Scotland Volkswagen Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Chat > Restos and repairs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Need help with Glass on Bay Window

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote tara6161 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need help with Glass on Bay Window
    Posted: 06 April 2018 at 9:45am
Need help.   I am currently restoring 3 VW buses 2 bay windows and 1 split screen, I have 1 bay window just about complete apart from the windscreen, which is causing me trouble to install, I think it’s because of the new rubbers we have all the other glass I’m apart from this, need it in for the MOT. Like I said it nearly completed apart from this I would pay good money just to get it fitted. Thanks again.
93fxdl View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote 93fxdl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2018 at 5:17pm
Unless the rules have changed, you don't need to have a windscreen for the most test.
Suggest putting the seal in hot water to soften it before trying to fit the screen
Ttfm Glenn
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is. If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem. Lack of funds is the mother of ingenuity
gayle View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Quote gayle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2018 at 10:46pm
Agree with putting the deal in hot water. Where are the seals from? The cheap ones are a pain in the arse to fit
Highly medicated for the safety of the masses
tara6161 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote tara6161 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2018 at 11:49pm
Got the seals from VW heritage    I’ve told to use ky jelly   As seemingly a better lube. I’ll give that a go next
gayle View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Quote gayle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2018 at 9:01am
Ky jelly and washing line is what I use. Make sure the seal is soaked in hot water first, the heat makes it more pliable :)
Highly medicated for the safety of the masses
beetlesi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote beetlesi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2018 at 2:31pm
Took 4 of us and lots of brute force to get our Bay windscreen in.

Don't be afraid to thump it from outside as the rubber is being pulled in from inside.

Good luck
rodntod View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote rodntod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2018 at 5:25pm
Did you have any luck with this?

I've just had a bay front screen out to repair the steel dash top and vent covers. I used a bq seal from AH Schofield ,and 2 of us had it in within 15 mins. A good quality seal makes all the difference.

Hope this helps

Ed
"may the fweem be with you" eddie wan kenobi
 Post Reply Post Reply