Forum Home Forum Home > General Chat > Tech advice
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Low Beetle Front End

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Paid member
Paid member

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote lucky4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Low Beetle Front End
    Posted: 15 April 2018 at 11:16pm
I have dropped spindles on my 71 Beetle and although they dropped the body I could supposedly use standard length shock absorbers. I've just had to change the shocks as I had an oil leak in one of them. [They were the cheap coilover type you see advertised. They were awful. 2000 miles and knackered.]
I've just put on KYB gas shocks that seem great but I noticed they have dropped the car by another 10mm. As I live in a modern estate full of road bumps I kept hitting the front towing eye on the suspension with the useless shocks if I went over the bumps at more than a snail's pace.
Do I just grind of the towing eye? I only have about 3 inches clearance with the towing eye in place. Anyone else had this problem and what did they do to solve it [use my original spindles!]
Cheers.
John
gayle View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Quote gayle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2018 at 8:34am
What would happen if you needed towed though?
Highly medicated for the safety of the masses
1967_vw View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote 1967_vw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2018 at 1:00pm
Cut the towing eye off. Early bugs, like my 67, didn't have them anyway.

If you need towed in the future, you can risk putting the rope around the lower axle tube, or invest in one of the yoke assemblies that are meant to fit over the trailing arms (or wishbones). I towed a beetle like that a couple of weeks ago without any problem. Or get an A-frame, although they don't seem to be legal now, you might get away with for a short distance.
rodntod View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote rodntod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2018 at 4:11pm
[QUOTE=1967_vw]Cut the towing eye off. Early bugs, like my 67, didn't have them anyway.

This ^^^^^^^ As Kev says early bugs didn't have em. Or you could leave it and let mother nature remove it slowly over the next 300 speed bumps LOL
"may the fweem be with you" eddie wan kenobi
lucky4 View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote lucky4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2018 at 11:22pm
I think I will attack it with the angle grinder. Might leave a couple of stumps to catch the bumps before the suspension.
No real need for a towing eye as Beetles never break down. Do they!!!
John
gayle View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Quote gayle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2018 at 10:00am
The problem with putting the tow rope around the axle tube, on mine anyway, is that if the tow vehicle isn't lowered, it buggers up your front bumper
Highly medicated for the safety of the masses
 Post Reply Post Reply