West of Scotland Volkswagen Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Chat > Tech advice
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

T2 engine upgrade

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote ianb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T2 engine upgrade
    Posted: 28 April 2018 at 2:01pm
Hi
I have a 1600cc in my t2.
The engine runs well but I am frustrated by the lack of power as we tend to carry some baggage when travelling.

Looking for advice on engine uupgrade options.

Some thoughts
Can I bore out the barrels and fit new pistons. And what size to go for.
do I buy matched barrels and pistons.
Any other options considered.

Cheers
rodntod View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote rodntod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2018 at 1:14am
Hi Ian,

You have a few options to help upgrade power.

You can fit twin carbs,a free flowing exhaust system, do a little machine work on your heads,change pistons and barrels to 1641cc.
Anything above that would need your case to be machined,ie to upgrade to 1776cc or above
Hope this helps

Ed
"may the fweem be with you" eddie wan kenobi
ianb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ianb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2018 at 1:11pm
Hi Ed
Thank you for your response.
I live in Hamilton, Can you advise of any garages in my area who could do the work.
Can you also advise the estimated cost for each of the points you highlighted also what percentage increase could I expect.

Any advise is very much appreciated.

Cheers

Ian
93fxdl View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote 93fxdl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2018 at 9:07pm
Supercharger?

Before ripping into the engine, make sure it's running at 100%
A friend spent weeks running around slowly before finding the throttle wasn't opening fully.
Alternatively?
Relax, chill, let the world roll by slowly and enjoy the scenery as you trundle along
Ttfn Glenn
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is. If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem. Lack of funds is the mother of ingenuity
93fxdl View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote 93fxdl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2018 at 9:08pm
Supercharger link
Failed at IT again
Ttfn Glenn
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is. If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem. Lack of funds is the mother of ingenuity
rodntod View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote rodntod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2018 at 9:37pm
It's a good idea to evaluate exactly how healthy your engine is at present. You may find it's just low on compression ,or valve seats are getting a little tired,both of which would lose you valuable power when you need it. you really want to add torque rather than all out power,as it's the van's hill climbing ability you want to improve.End float within tolerance is important ,as is good oil pressure.If you get good results from all those checks,then you have a good base to work with.

As far as cost is concerned,it all depends on what you decide or need to do to up your power.Get it compression tested,timing and fuel delivery checked over,valve gaps checked and adjusted if needed.Then see how it goes,and you might end up spending a lot less than you thought.

I am in Ayrshire,though someone on here might be able to point you to somebody nearer you.

Hope this helps

Ed
gambit_67 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gambit_67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2018 at 10:28pm
Originally posted by rodntod

It's a good idea to evaluate exactly how healthy your engine is at present. You may find it's just low on compression ,or valve seats are getting a little tired,both of which would lose you valuable power when you need it. you really want to add torque rather than all out power,as it's the van's hill climbing ability you want to improve.End float within tolerance is important ,as is good oil pressure.If you get good results from all those checks,then you have a good base to work with.

As far as cost is concerned,it all depends on what you decide or need to do to up your power.Get it compression tested,timing and fuel delivery checked over,valve gaps checked and adjusted if needed.Then see how it goes,and you might end up spending a lot less than you thought.

I was just going say all of this. Ask around for recommendations but Ed is a good, reliable lad who will keep you right and not rip you off, hes an aircooled jedi

Frank
ianb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ianb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2018 at 10:46pm
Thanks Ed
It is a bit frustrating as I just got the van out after the winter to find the fuel elbow had perished and leaking fuel on filling and ended up with removing the engine to replace the pipe.
I got doods dubs in Blackwood to do the work and got him to check the timing and tuning while he was at it but not the compression checks as I had no suspicion of anything amiss,
It has been since I have been out for a few runs I am down to second gear to climb a steep hill. Is this to be expected and am I being unrealistic for a standard stock engine.

Cheers

Ian

rodntod View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote rodntod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2018 at 11:13pm
They are certainly not flying machines at the best of times Ian, but if you can get them running the way they should then hills become less of an issue. 3rd gear is common for steep hills,and 2nd at times,though you may be fighting a sticky brake on one or more wheels as well as a lack in power delivery.
Doods knows his dubs,so i can't see there being an issue with what's been done so far.It just may need a deeper investigation to see where your horses are escaping to LOL
A compression test would be my next port of call,and if all is well then a general health check of all the components that can affect your power would be next.

Ed
ianb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ianb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2018 at 4:03pm
Hi Ed
Yes I agree Dave knows his stuff but it will be worth checking the compression.
Other option is for me to lose some weight. 17 stone can’t help. But I don’t think you can help me with that one.

Thank you very much for taking the time to help me it is very much appreciated.

You mentioned earlier you are in Ayrshire, where exactly, if I am in the area i might pop in an meet you in person.

Cheers
rodntod View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote rodntod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2018 at 10:59pm
No worries Ian,happy to help when i can.

I'm in the village of Glengarnock,in North Ayrshire,about 10 miles west of Paisley.

Cheers
Ed
Alastair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Alastair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 3:59pm
Hi Ed
I'm seeking somebody with your skills to help me out with my 1976 T2 engine. 
Can we meet up? 
I'm in the south side of Glasgow
Cheers.

Alastair
m. 0781 6666 301
malky39 View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote malky39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 5:57pm
Originally posted by Alastair

Hi Ed
I'm seeking somebody with your skills to help me out with my 1976 T2 engine. 
Can we meet up? 
I'm in the south side of Glasgow
Cheers.

Alastair
m. 0781 6666 301

Nice we 30min drive down to edland from the southside, remember the cakes and you will get a cracking cuppa and a welcome from his four legged friend. Oh and his work and prices are good only person that works on my bug

Malky
Alastair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Alastair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 6:02pm
Good stuff Malky. 
Can you call in the morning me please on 0781 6666 301.
Thanks.

Alastair
rodntod View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote rodntod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 11:44pm
I've pm'd you my number Alastair,give me a ring and we can sort something out.

Cheers
Ed
 Post Reply Post Reply