West of Scotland Volkswagen Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Chat > Tech advice
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Fridge help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Jeikeco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fridge help
    Posted: 19 June 2018 at 10:36pm
Hello all.
My wife and I recently purchased a 1988 T25 ( orT3, I’m not actually sure the point at which they differ) and wondered about what everyone does for a fridge setup. The one we have is no longer connected to the propane (the previous owner pulled out some of the internals and did a diy setup) or 12v but had a plug that was plugged into the 13a shore power socket. We tried to test it but I guess we didn’t leave it plugged in long enough to see/feel any effect. We have taken the van to a place Motor Home Repair/Swindon near the fort in Glasgow. They removed the fridge and said it works on all ways.
The issue I guess is what is the best way forward. Do we spend a bunch of money to get the gas up to spec (currently we there is a two burner hob with a small butane tank that sits under the full size rock n roll bed) or do we ditch a gas powered fridge and just get a new/or the old one working on 12v, with that in mind how many leisure batteries is the norm?
We have been told that it’s best not to keep the fridge running on 12v when parked up and it’s best to have a propane to supply the fridge.

So. Any thoughts, directions, past mistakes and things to avoid.

I’m of the thought of getting a new fridge that operates on shore and 12v.

gryan39 View Drop Down
Committee Member
Committee Member

Committee Member

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote gryan39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2018 at 10:43pm
You won’t be able run it on 12v for very long. If your old fridge works then either use it or sell it.
You can get portable fridge that works on gas and plugged in at campsite.
All depends on your budget and how much you will really use a fridge.

Post Reply Post Reply