Forum Home Forum Home > General Chat > West of Scotland VW Club Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Wolfsburg visit 2018.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Dave Campbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wolfsburg visit 2018.
    Posted: 14 August 2018 at 2:44pm
Last week myself Jack and Ian headed for Wolfsburg to visit the VW museum, Autostadt and take the VW factory tour.
Day one was flying from Glasgow to Hannover via Amsterdam then use the very efficient railway system to get to Wolfsburg itself. The train station couldnt really drop you any closer to the factory.

We ditched our bags in the lockers at the station and walked about a mile to get to the VW museum on Dieselstrasse;

Inside is a collection of cars important to VW's history including prototypes, historic cars and race cars;

After dinner and checking into the hotel we went a wander. It is quite normal to see a street of cars that are ALL volkswagens;

Short stroll up Porsche street;

And back to the factory and the Autostadt car park;

Dave

(full photo album over on flickr https://www.flickr.com/gp/route9autos/245722 )
Dave Campbell View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dave Campbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2018 at 3:03pm
Day 2 we spent the day at the Autostadt complex but first we stopped here. This was the site of the Tullio Cianeti hall. Basically a place where they would sell the dream of the KDF Wagen or Strength through joy car and now has a marble split window memorial.

And then over the bridge to Autostadt. These are some highlights and the full album of pictures can be seen here; https://www.flickr.com/gp/route9autos/Vw8Kz9

Day 3 of the trip we were booked on the factory tour but there was strictly no photography allowed inside the factory so this is the last picture I got on the tour;

Straight after the tour we had to start our journey home. Flights were booked for 6pm but when I checked my phone on the train the news came through that our flights had been cancelled due to thunder storms so we thought we would be seeing a lot of Hannover airport;

KLM put us up in a flash hotel and at 4am we were on our way to Munich before heading home to Glasgow.

Great couple of days and if you are into VW's its well worth a visit.

Hope you enjoyed the pics and remember to visit my flickr for more.

Dave.
beetlesi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote beetlesi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2018 at 10:08pm
Awesome pics - place looks amazing.

I'll need to go, although I'd want to steal one of the ragtop Herbies :)
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dave Campbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2018 at 10:22pm
You really need to go Si. It only took us about 5 hours to get there with planes and trains which is a hell of a lot quicker than when I drove there 13 years ago.
beetlesi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote beetlesi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2018 at 11:40pm
Originally posted by Dave Campbell

You really need to go Si. It only took us about 5 hours to get there with planes and trains which is a hell of a lot quicker than when I drove there 13 years ago.

Defo
Cant believe that was 13 years ago!!
Was that in the yellow and blue type 2?
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dave Campbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2018 at 9:38am
Sure was. There and back in 9 days.
gayle View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Quote gayle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2018 at 10:11am
Newsletter article please? :)
Highly medicated for the safety of the masses
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dave Campbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2018 at 10:22am
See what I can do.
beetlesi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote beetlesi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2018 at 11:20pm
Originally posted by Dave Campbell

Sure was. There and back in 9 days.

That's awesome
BridgetB View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote BridgetB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2018 at 8:25pm
lovely pictures, really inspired me to try and get there one day
BridgetB

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dave Campbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2018 at 10:24pm
Originally posted by BridgetB

lovely pictures, really inspired me to try and get there one day

Glad you enjoyed the pictures, hopefully you saw the rest on flickr.

Really nice place to visit and although the town itself is quite '60's modern (for some reason a lot of the old buildings were removed between 1939 and 1945) it seemed really clean and safe.

It cost us about £350 each for flights and hotel.

Dave
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dave Campbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2018 at 3:34pm
It took a few weeks but the video of our Wolfsburg trip is finished and on You Tube.
Grab some popcorn and find a comfy seat;

Dave
Gerard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Gerard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2018 at 8:05pm
That looks amazing its on my to do list one day..

Did you just go for the three days? Is that enough time to do the trip?

www.rdtyres.co.uk

AA Card.........Never Leave Home Without It
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dave Campbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2018 at 8:16pm
It was enough for us mate. we got flights early on the Tuesday morning that got us to wolfsburg for lunch time. Ditched bags in the station locker and went to the old museum which is only about a mile walk. Needed about 2 hours at the old museum then headed for the hotel. Wednesday we spent the whole day at autostadt then Thursday we did the tour before jumping on the train and heading home. 
There wasn't much else in the town that was car based so we didn't feel like we missed anything by doing it as a short break. 
McRod View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote McRod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2018 at 9:16am
Brillaint Dave, well made. 
1966 Split Screen Canterbury Pitt
1969 1300 Beetle
1970 Early Bay Window Devon
1974 Westfalia Continental
1989 T25 Panel
2012 T5 Twin Slider Kombi.
 Post Reply Post Reply