West of Scotland Volkswagen Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Chat > Tech advice
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Testing an engine

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote vee_dub_air Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Testing an engine
    Posted: 31 August 2018 at 2:09pm
So from what i can make out.  To run/test an beetle engine outside the car (safely) is to use Bay window Bellhousing.  

Does any bay bellhousing do the job or depends on engine size?
rodntod View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote rodntod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2018 at 7:40pm
You can use a beetle gearbox,or in my case just the bellhousing part if you chop an old gearbox up.
"may the fweem be with you" eddie wan kenobi
vee_dub_air View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote vee_dub_air Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2018 at 10:54pm
over the past few day looking at previous sales, the bay bellhousing seems the cheaper option.

I notice a few people asking for them where asking based on their specific engine size, but i couldnt find anything technical to suggest it mattered.

Watched a couple of Youtube videos of guys building their own engine stands all kitted out.  

It nuts seeing some of the garages across the Atlantic have a bigger footprint than ma hoose.
rodntod View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote rodntod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2018 at 10:42am
I think beetlejac on here makes and sells an engine yoke with a starter mounting on it.
"may the fweem be with you" eddie wan kenobi
Dave Campbell View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote Dave Campbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2018 at 10:36am
I had to make do with the Bay window bell housing when  did mine;

I will be buying one of Jacks next time I build an engine.

Dave.
vee_dub_air View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote vee_dub_air Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2018 at 3:50pm
Think I like about the Bay bell housing is it covers up the flywheel. one least moving object to worry about.

Aye i've watch a few of your youtube vids that popped up the other day Dave, so you'll have a few extra views.

What camera do you use for your channel?
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dave Campbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2018 at 5:59pm
At the moment I go between a Sony RX100 MK2 and my go pro but in the past I was using a Lumix LX7.

Im working on a monster edit just now of my visit to Wolfsburg and the VW factory. I shot so much footage it took 6 hours to transfer it off the SD cards so editing is taking a while.
Flyfifer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Flyfifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2018 at 2:07pm
I was looking for a yoke for my engine stand and was recommended to contact Beetlejac but I don't have contact details. Can anyone put me in touch with him?
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dave Campbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2018 at 2:20pm
Originally posted by Flyfifer

I was looking for a yoke for my engine stand and was recommended to contact Beetlejac but I don't have contact details. Can anyone put me in touch with him?

I will send him this message.
 Post Reply Post Reply