Forum Home Forum Home > General Chat > Sales, Wants, Swaps and Freebies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Trekker 182 Hood Frame

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote rrsmith21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trekker 182 Hood Frame
    Posted: 25 September 2018 at 7:23pm
Hi I know this is a long shot and more chance of finding hens teeth...but I am looking for a good soft top hood frame for a VW Trekker. I should have got one from the Thing Shop in the States when the £ was $1.50 lol

Cheers

Bob
KennyC View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote KennyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2018 at 12:56pm
Is Harold Volkmann from Darlington still on the go??
He used to be the main man for importing ex German/Dutch army stuff, and had a lot of Trekker parts...
rrsmith21 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote rrsmith21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2018 at 1:30pm
Hi sorry Ken I have never heard of Harold Volkmann and cannot find him on the net. I tend to look for parts on auction sites under Vw Trekker or Vw Thing 181 and even VW Kubelwagen the place that has the most parts is the Thing Shop but as they are in the States and with postage and tax it doubles the price of most things..

Bob
93fxdl View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote 93fxdl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2018 at 2:10pm
Parts emporium have a couple of rear hoops
Ttfn Glenn 
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is. If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem. Lack of funds is the mother of ingenuity
rrsmith21 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote rrsmith21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2018 at 8:40pm
Hi and thanks for the info but I have had a look at Parts Emporium as you say only have a couple of hoops was hoping to get a complete frame, but may have to buy one bit at a time or pay the Thing Shop $800 plus postage to the UK Cry

thanks again

Bob
93fxdl View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote 93fxdl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2018 at 8:40am
They also have a collection of odd frame parts, would making one from scratch be an option?
Ttfn Glenn
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is. If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem. Lack of funds is the mother of ingenuity
gambit_67 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gambit_67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2018 at 10:00am
Hi Bob nice to see you getting back into the trekker again. I thought the chap who ran vw emporium sacked it? If you are going down thing shop route you might be as well getting complete hood. Tell me you have picked up your engine?? Hope you are well

Frank
rrsmith21 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote rrsmith21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2018 at 11:23am
Hi Frank yes you are right I should get the complete unit but the frame is now $800 and the complete hood and frame is $1600 plus postage and tax. Just 3yrs ago it was $1200 and the £ was a lot stronger, it worked out at about £800 now looking at paying £1300. 

I got my engine back from Piston Components after many phone calls,  in a several boxes and almost a year later they said it was to expensive to fix, so bought a second hand unit from an auction site, but hoping to get the Trekker on the road early next year. Hope all is well with you and that you are still finding good projects to work on Big smile

Bob
gambit_67 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gambit_67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2018 at 12:35pm
Nothing is cheap nowadays but the tax and shipping is particularly hard to swallow, not many of them around here and at least you know it will fit. I ran mine without a hood which is probably why i ended up selling it as i think it was the wettest summer since noah built his boat

Frank
93fxdl View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote 93fxdl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2018 at 1:41pm
Package holiday to the states, then bring back lots of toys as excess baggage, try and coincide with some of the big swap meets, or try some of the car importers as they usually will fill space in container for a fee
Ttfn Glenn 
rrsmith21 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote rrsmith21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2018 at 4:16pm
Good idea, I could combine a nice holiday with some Trekker shopping, not sure  the wife would be happy when I told her that we are going to the USA  but she cannot take any luggage as I will be using her baggage allowance LOL

I am in no rush for the Trekker frame, so will just keep looking until the right one comes around but I would like thank everyone for the advice and links for spare parts.

Bob Clap 

Post Reply Post Reply