West of Scotland Volkswagen Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Chat > West of Scotland VW Club Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

I AM BACK

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote jimbodelta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I AM BACK
    Posted: 14 August 2007 at 5:44pm
Did any one miss me ? my pc decided that it would ditch my saved info and i could not remeber my password -now have a new one (mods can this be changed to something i can remember or will i have a piece of paper in myback pocket for life with some weird code on it ).

Well as you have probably read else where i have been carrying out an engine change on Jamesyboys type 25 ( dont believe every thing you here regarding the 1.6 - 1.9 diesel golf engine is a straight swap ) every thing appears to be the same but is not .

I will give you a brief rundown just now but if dave wants i have taken quite a few pictures if you want a feature for the club mag .

Exhaust off ,disconnect all pipe work cables ,fuel lines etc ,take out battery.

Remove alternator ,remove airfilter and breather box manifold from engine .

Support gearbox with ratchet strap and connect engine lift to  engine with large strop and shackle

Ment to mention put van on large ramps first

climb under and disconect bolts from bell housing ,remove engine mounts climb back under van and give engine a hefty kick or two drop engine to the ground and drag out .

strip new 1.9 to bare block apart from lift pump .

change sump and oil pick up pipe as engine sits at different angle ,swap alternator housing brackets and water pump ,swap all pulleys ,change timing belt,change exhaust manifold ,swap oilfilter cooler looked the same but turned 90 deg ,swaped various water pipe housings fitted with multi plugs etc

when doing the timing belt you have to use the old bottom plastic cover and the new top due to different hight .cover 10mm gap with duc tape 
(new one fouled the pulleys ) change dipstick

change clutch and flywheel as totally configured differently ,fit out put shaft spigot bearing to new engine to support gearbox

hopping to have back in and running this weekend going to use the old oilfilter and flushing oil for a few minuits then give her a nice clean fillter and lube job  .

as said earlyer will do a full technical with pictures either in the mag or in the technical bit so please let me know Dave if you want it for the mag  .

Maybee quite long winded though cheers Jim .
HE WHO DIES WITH THE MOST TOYS WINS (even if there old rusty piles of poop)
Dave Campbell View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Dave Campbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2007 at 2:33am
For the mag would be great.Thumbs%20Up If its mega long I can always make it a 2 part article.
 Post Reply Post Reply