West of Scotland Volkswagen Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Chat > Sales, Wants, Swaps and Freebies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

some guidance please

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote ducatobuild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: some guidance please
    Posted: 16 February 2008 at 4:19pm

Guys

Finally we are in a position to purchase either a T25 diesel camper or a T4 diesel Camper, with a nice round total of around 10k [cash], you would of though, that wouldn’t be to much of a problem, would you not? , Well it is as we had not reckoned on just how many versions and layouts etc there are and the dramatic difference in prices across the different models.

Dare I say it we went today to have a final look at the Mazda Bongo models but have now struck these from our list as they really are far to small, but very deceiving that is until you get in and shut the doors then the claustrophobia sets in quickly and also really rather expensive by comparison.

So my questions are.

I need to have a manual diesel, with diesel overnight heating, captain’s seats, as plush an interior as possible and a pop top roof and as low a mileage as possible, therefore

What are my best models to look for, that will give me all that in one model, and where is the best place to get one from THAT IS NOT A LEFT HOOKER, as really all I have been able to source so far is lhd models, and what am I likely to have to pay for a good example as above.

If you happen to own a model fitting the bill above that happens to be for sale pls do get in touch
Any and all help appreciated, all posts answered
Yours Dougie
wee bugger View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Quote wee bugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2008 at 1:05am
A 10k T25 would need to be ultra minted I would think...seen a few T4s in that range and lots will be lhd as europe is such a bigger camper market than Uk many will have begun life there. Don't discard LHD as they are a doddle to drive, you will adapt in a few hours and if you head abroad its easier (a bit cheaper too as most people here would go rhd)
McRod View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote McRod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2008 at 4:05am
The "Bus Doctor" in this month`s VW Camper & Commercial magazine answers a letter on someone looking for advice on buying a T4.

He reckons that the 1.9D is probably the worst engine that VW fitted to them as it is horribly underpowered.

He also mentions the steering rack problems of the T4`s in that because they had very good dampers that never leaked, they hid the problem of the steering rod`s being knackered but still passing MOT`s.

He ends by saying that if you can stretch your budget to a post '96 T4 then you should as they are much better vans all round than any pre 1996 model.
 Post Reply Post Reply